Reallocated sector counts seems high on HD Tune compared to WD Diagnostics. Thoughts?

swhockey98

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
I haven't noticed any performance issues or weird noises coming from my 2TB WD Black drive since I bought it 2 years ago, but this morning I saw in HD Tune the reallocated sector count for Data is 490. That seems really high to me.

TMGs1WN.jpg

I ran the test in WD Diagnostics and don't see a 490, I only see a "1" under the Warranty column, but the Current, Worst, and Threshold numbers are identical to HD Tune's. Should I replace this drive ASAP?

Hey there, swhockey98!

Sorry to hear about these stats on your WD Black. :( Can you please share some screenshot from the SMART data results in both testing utilities? Make sure you run the Extended test from WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and also try using the DOS version instead. You can find it in the WD Software, once you select your WD product.

However, you should definitely backup your data from the hard drive ASAP before proceeding with the troubleshooting!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!
SuperSoph_WD

swhockey98

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005

Sorry for the late reply. I ended up replacing the drive just to be on the safe side.