Windows 10/ Different versions/ Legal issues

AnunRhama

Reputable
May 14, 2016
Hi, I was interested in the legalities behind using different versions of Windows 10. I personally do not understand why there are so many versions, at least when it comes down to the legal issues, and I would like to know for what purposes you could use some of them, and what are the limitations, if any.

So, the questions is about the business use. How are you allowed to use ‘Windows 10 Home’ in business sense, or for instance ‘Windows 10 Education’ comparing to ‘Windows 10 Pro’? Does it mean that ‘Home’ is only entitled for personal use, and personal use only… such as browsing the internet or Skype-ing your family members. You are not allowed to use programs and software on it to produce products that you can later… sell, promote etc. You can only use them for personal… educational purposes. Even though you have bought and own a license to a specific software, as long as your operating system is ‘Windows 10 Home’ or ‘Windows 10 Educational’, you have no right to sell or use products that you have created on a software that you bought and own? You can only sell it if they are created on ‘Windows 10 Pro’?

If so, the absurdity of it all is hard not to notice. In the same way you are not allowed to even send mail, if it’s business in nature. You cannot use Amazon, eBay or any similar sites, cause all of that easily borders with the business endeavors. So buying ‘Pro’ for some extra cash, you’re actually buying a legal license, so you can use this OS in a certain way. This is all my presumption based on what I read from the available info, and it might be that all of these titles for OS’s are not directed at legal matters.

But, I just wanted to be sure. I myself want to start a personal, freelance business over the internet. I do not want to use any illegal software or operating system for the products that I create and offer. But I also want to know the legalities of it all, so that there is no trouble in the future with those issues.

So, here’s the personal question (problem) summed up, if you do not want to answer all this other stuff:

If I create a product, for instance in Gimp, or Blender (which are both free software), that I have installed on a ‘Windows 10 Home’ (or 'Windows 10 Educational), will I be able to sell those products over the internet (or however) to the customers? Legally.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
The difference between Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc...is simply features.

You can use a Home license in a business. You can use Pro or Enterprise at home (if you wish to waste money).
You can create your own application, and sell it, with zero issue. Said application built on whichever OS you have.

If I create a product, for instance in Gimp, or Blender (which are both free software), that I have installed on a ‘Windows 10 Home’ (or 'Windows 10 Educational), will I be able to sell those products over the internet (or however) to the customers? Legally.
Yes. Mostly.

You can read the specific license agreements here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx
First please understand that I'm someone who avoids lawyers like the plague! However I'll start by saying I've never heard of any restrictions like those you mention as far as Windows is concerned. When it comes to Windows 10 I have both the Home version and the Pro versions, and the differences are well documented on the Microsoft web site. They're mostly differences in security, but there are others like the fact that you have no control of Windows updates with the Home version, some control over them with the Pro version, and I'm told complete control with the Enterprise version. With the Enterprise version, MS assumes you have an IT staff, so you get no tech support with that version. Of course there's the cost of licenses which MS quotes as $120 for the Home version, and about $100 more for the Pro version. I have zero knowledge of the Education version since my college days are decades in the past! If you want a more complete description, you can always read the EULA in each installed system, and I imagine can be found on the Microsoft web site. I found this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Good luck.

honestly I have never looked into the licensing of Windows in regards to intellectual property like the development of software, pictures, or video.

here are the technical differences in Windows versions:

Windows Home does not support a Domain environment only Workgroup and HomeGroup, and does not include the security features like encryption and account controls that Windows Pro or Enterprise have.

Windows Pro and Enterprise are designed for a company environment that uses Domain Servers like Windows Server.

Windows Education is a version of Windows Pro; however, it is educationally priced and requires prove of being a student at the time of purchase.

I know plenty of small businesses that use Windows Home since they does have a Domain server.

If you are using Windows10 and you are concerned about the information Microsoft pull off your system, use Spybot Anti-Beacon to disable Microsoft's access.

USAFRet

Titan
The difference between Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc...is simply features.

You can use a Home license in a business. You can use Pro or Enterprise at home (if you wish to waste money).
You can create your own application, and sell it, with zero issue. Said application built on whichever OS you have.

Yes. Mostly.

You can read the specific license agreements here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Solution

popatim

Titan
IMO (not a lawyer here) The various Windows versions are about features, not 'Usage'

For Example Win10 Home Premium has most features that a home use would need while Pro would have more features geared toward a business use.

Any software you create would most likely run on any version of windows and as long as you didnt intefere with any of Microsofts Intellectual Property (programs, drivers, apps...) I don't beleive they would care. Now creating something that uses Gimp code would probably invoke issue with the people that created Gimp but thats something you will need to check with them esp if you would be making a profit. I'm thinking that if you use their open source code then you would have to make your project open source also and then there's no point in trying to make a profit because anyone could just recompile your sourcecode. Thats an issue between you and them. MS won't care as long as you are not altering their code or subverting system or security.

AnunRhama

Reputable
May 14, 2016
Thanx for the responses. I've also contacted Microsoft technical support, and they said that there is no problem in using any of these for the reasons I've mentioned.

AnunRhama

Reputable
May 14, 2016

BTW I was referring to images and PNG files created using GIMP... if you know what I mean. Not altering the software.