Laptop suddenly stopped connecting to HDMI

Tomhurst

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
My laptop won't connect to HDMI?

My laptop yesterday was just fine. Was playing games on my telly. Turned off for the night, turned on today, and it won't work? It's like it's not even recognising it's being plugged in.

I've got a Lenovo Y50-70. I've restarted my laptop, restarted the telly. I've reinstalled my intel graphics driver and I've reinstalled my nvidia graphics driver. I'm at a loss here. Can anyone help!? :(

For starters I'd unplug and replug both ends of the HDMI cable. I had a case where periodically I just had to unplug from one HDMI socket on the TV to another one, and the problem would go away. Next case you might have to replace the HDMI cable. Of course it's possible it could be something more serious, but let's hope it's one of the above that's easy and not expensive. I assume you haven't gotten any error messages from your computer about this, right?

Good luck.

Tomhurst

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016

Tried that :(
No errors at all. The computer isn't even flickering or anything. TV just says no signal. I go into display settings, click detect, and it says no second display found :(

Well unfortunately that does sound like a computer problem. I'd check for malware with MalwareBytes, then do a scan for corrupt system files with SFC. Start an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow . That'll run 10 to 20 minutes normally and attempt to repair any corrupt system files it finds.

Good luck.