Building a new Computer and will these parts be good?

JsadE3

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I'm building a new computer and I just wanted to know if all the parts I picked would work together. This would be the second computer I have built but this one is going to be way better than my last one. I didn't do much research last time and it was a low-end computer. I did research this time and picked parts that I thought were good but I'm still unsure if they'll have any issues like do I have a good power supply or do I need more watts? Will my ram, motherboard, processor and graphics card all work together well. I'm also really worried about my computer being really loud. I'm planning on getting the new GTX 1080 for this build. I'm also unsure if I should use a water cooling system or not(I'm really worried about leaking but I feel like a cpu fan would be louder than water cooling). I'm also not sure if I should really worry about getting an SSD or not(Lots of people seem mixed on SSD do they even make a difference?). I'll put all my parts and the case below. Sorry for this really long explanation and I appreciate all the help given. Not sure if I posted this in the right place I'm new here sorry.

GTX 1080

i7 6700k

ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4

Corsair AXi Series AX860i

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

MasterAir Maker 8 Cooling Fan

NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mattz982

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

its cooler masters new offering http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/masterair-maker-8/

what you not sure about?

JsadE3

Commendable
May 15, 2016

I would say that my budget at max would be $2000. I really want to try and save some money though. I looked more into some of the parts and I actually changed the cpu fan, the case, and the power supply. I also just saw the news of the RX 480 from AMD and now I'm thinking about getting that because the price is so crazy low. I'm just unsure if I should get the GTX 1080 or the RX 480. From what I've read or seen online Nvidia cards are the more popular and a lot of people don't like AMD cards. I don't really understand all the hate for AMD but I know that sometimes AMD cards don't really function very well with new release games and so people with AMD cards need to wait for patches to fix issues. So I guess its that Nvidia cards have more support or something I don't really know. I also heard that AMD cards generate more heat than the GTX cards so it could be that. I looked more into the cooler master cpu fan and people were saying that it got pretty loud so that kind of killed it for me. I also didn't want to get the H440 because people say that the airflow is bad. Still deciding between SSD or not. Without an SSD I could save a lot but from what I've seen it really makes an impact on loading times of games and booting up your system. I heard that SSDs die faster though and that is making me worry. The reason I'm building a new PC is because I want to get ready for future games that come out and I also am planning on heavily modding skyrim and fallout 4 with graphical mods and gameplay mods. Thanks for the reply I'll put my new parts list below.

GTX 1080 or RX 480

i7 6700k

ASUS Z170-A ATX

EVGA 850 GQ 80+ GOLD

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

Noctua NH-D15

NZXT N450 Mid Tower Case

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

g-unit1111

Titan

There's a lot of reasons why people don't like AMD cards. Finicky drivers, and the other reason is the high power consumption. NVIDIA cards are generally known for being more energy efficient with each generation, where AMD tends to be going in the opposite direction with both its' GPUs and CPUs. By comparison the current Fury X uses 275W vs the 980TI uses 250W and the new generation uses just 180W. But that does not take the power requirements of AMD's next generation into account. Now whether or not that changes with the next generation or not remains to be seen.

I also heard that AMD cards generate more heat than the GTX cards so it could be that. I looked more into the cooler master cpu fan and people were saying that it got pretty loud so that kind of killed it for me. I also didn't want to get the H440 because people say that the airflow is bad.

Well that's why I say do not pay attention to store reviews. People are going to complain about the tiniest of details on a particular part, no matter what that part is. If you're that set on a particular part, just go for it. There's a lot of junk parts out there and it's well documented what those are, but good parts like the H440 often get lost because someone on Newegg gives it a 3 star review instead of a 5 star review for some weird reason. More than half the complaints (like 90%) are from people who didn't install the part correctly. And the other half of the bad reviews generally have nothing to do with the product itself, but rather complaints about things like refunds or shipping. No matter what the reviews say, if you see store reviews that say the opposite, that doesn't matter, it's just one person's opinion. Not the same as a professional review. I have an H440 and it's been a great case so far.

Still deciding between SSD or not. Without an SSD I could save a lot but from what I've seen it really makes an impact on loading times of games and booting up your system. I heard that SSDs die faster though and that is making me worry.

Absolutely go for an SSD. I won't build a modern rig without one. That part about SSDs dying faster than standard hard drives is no longer true - the VNAND flash memory that is used on SSDs gets better with each generation of SSDs. And what's out now is light years ahead of what was out say, 3 years ago. A Samsung M2 drive, which I just got, is so much faster than just about anything else you can buy.

With your budget here's two different builds I might suggest. One is Z170 and the other is X99. First the Z170 build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG A80 128.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($177.73 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($699.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2006.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-01 11:37 EDT-0400

And then the X99 build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG A80 128.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 OC Formula EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($293.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($177.73 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($699.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2091.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-01 11:38 EDT-0400

VR PC-BUILD

Respectable
May 14, 2016
Here is the build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($600.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($600.00)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2039.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-01 12:00 EDT-0400

JsadE3

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Thanks for the lists. I was looking at the motherboard and the ram. I can't really see the difference between what I had and what you are showing me for the Z170. Does that type of ram work better with that motherboard and is the motherboard better with my other parts? Sorry I still don't completely understand everything I just know how to build computers but don't know everything about certain parts so I can't really tell which would be best. I also checked pc part picker and it says that I don't really need a 850 watt power supply. I do plan on using another 1080 eventually but it seems that even with the second 1080 it says that I only need around 600 or 700 watts. I might downgrade the psu but it may not really make a difference in price. I've heard about this hero motherboard. I've seen it on youtube a lot in builds but I don't know what makes it better than other motherboards that are around the same price. I looked more into the ram and it seems like the ram works very well with the motherboard you picked but I could be wrong sorry just guessing. I still want to look into the case more it seems really cool but I'm not sure how good the stock fans are. One of the reasons I picked the N450 case was because it had good fans and a fan control on the side but the bad thing about the fan control was that if you replaced the stock fans with other fans then the other fans would always run at max speed or that's what I've been told. I honestly do appreciate the lists and all the feedback. I'm definitely going to get an SSD but I really do not feel safe with water cooling.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you plan to overclock (and you definitely should on that budget) you will need some extra wattage in your PSU. Also if you plan to SLI that GPU, and you also definitely should, you will need extra wattage. Honestly, PSU is something where having the bare minimum is fine, but you should always get more than the bare minimum just to be on the safe side. And quality power supplies are always emphasized over junk units. The Corsair AXi and EVGA G2/P2/T2 are widely regarded as some of the best out there. Sure, GPUs and CPUs are more energy efficient than ever before, but that doesn't take into account things like advanced cooling units and higher end GPUs.

I do plan on using another 1080 eventually but it seems that even with the second 1080 it says that I only need around 600 or 700 watts. I might downgrade the psu but it may not really make a difference in price.

But you should never buy a rig with the intention of immediately replacing parts. That almost never works, and you won't be satisfied with anything you have and you will wind up spending 2 - 3 times what you originally spent. I know, I have been there and done that. Better to buy exactly what you need once and be done with it, rather than buy and replace later.

I looked more into the ram and it seems like the ram works very well with the motherboard you picked but I could be wrong sorry just guessing. I still want to look into the case more it seems really cool but I'm not sure how good the stock fans are.

I wouldn't pick RAM that isn't compatible. And honestly the thing about stock fans is that those are most often the least important part in choosing a case. Those almost always get replaced especially when people build around a particular theme or color scheme.

One of the reasons I picked the N450 case was because it had good fans and a fan control on the side but the bad thing about the fan control was that if you replaced the stock fans with other fans then the other fans would always run at max speed or that's what I've been told.

The Noctis / H440 is a good choice for that reason. But the fan controller that's included is nearly identical to the one that NZXT sells by itself which is the Grid V2, and you can actually control the fan speeds through NZXT's CAM software by hooking it to USB 3.0: https://www.nzxt.com/products/grid-plus-v2

What you were told about fan speeds is incorrect though. Fans will always run at max speeds unless you have a fan controller installed.

I'm definitely going to get an SSD but I really do not feel safe with water cooling.

That's fine. For SSD Samsung is generally the undisputed king of SSDs at the moment. On your budget I would get a 950 Pro, it's one of the best out there. If you don't want liquid cooling that's fine. Air is always safer, and there's plenty of solid dual tower air coolers out there. I would suggest looking at Phanteks, Cryorig, Noctua, and beQuiet! as they all make some great coolers that you should check out.

JsadE3

Commendable
May 15, 2016

I looked into the motherboard and it seems to have a lot of bad reviews. I think the ram is fine but I'm still really unsure about the motherboard because there are so many negative things about it. People say that it came dead on arrival or the board dies after using it a few times. I really like the case I initially picked out but I looked more into the enthoo cases and found the enthoo luxe which I think is really cool and I like these cases because they have room for optical drives. I was thinking about getting a fan controller. I'll look at the luxe some more. I do want my computer to look really nice with like LEDs and stuff and have good looking parts but I would definitely give up looks for better performance. I want this PC to look nice but I also want the best parts I can possibly get that are around my price range. I'm not sure if you have any experience with the Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO but if you do I'd like to hear what the motherboard is like. I do plan on using an SLI setup in the future so I will stick with the 850 watts. Not sure if I'll overclock I will definitely look at some overclocking and I may get into it. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible. I'm also trying to just get parts that will all just work together out of the box. I don't want to get parts that will require me to do a lot of tweaking to get certain things to function correctly. I know that usually some tweaking is required no matter what but I'm just trying to avoid that as much as I can because that usually confuses me.