Strange issue with USB not being detected, and reboot hanging on the "Rebooting..." screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello,

I have been having an odd issue on my Windows 10 installation. This is actually a fresh installation with minimal things installed and is about 1 week old.

I have been having issues where sometimes my Windows installation will not detect any USB device that is plugged into it after the operating system starts up (as in my USB mice + keyboard will work). I do not get any prompt that it is 'unrecognized' the device will get power but nothing in Windows indicates anything has been detected whatsoever. Then when I restart my computer my computer will hang on "Rebooting..." until I do a hard reset of my computer.
Then after my computer starts up again things will always work perfectly from then on, USB devices will be detected and my computer will shutdown/reboot without any problem.

I have no idea if these two things are related, but the slow reboots only happen when the USB devices cannot be detect. It also only seems to happen when the computer has been off for a while, I can reboot many times in a row and not reproduce unless the computer has not been used for a few hours. I am having a very hard time trying to figure out what this could be. I have all the latest drivers installed (I even uninstalled all USB drivers and then reinstalled them). I have tried different ports, which did not help.

Here is a video showing this with a Game controller. When I plug it in you can see it is getting power, but it is not recognized in Windows. I then restart my computer for it to hang, forcing me to do a hard reset. Then I go into my BIOS to show that my USB is detected and enabled by the motherboard. Then when my computer restarts the controller is detected without any problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImFRRA82xwo

Lastly I tried using Windows 10 built in troubleshooter for "configure a device" under Troubleshooting. This detects something but it always recommends a reboot.

Solution
I have seen a BIOS that had a EU power setting that actually fully turns off power to your USB devices after a sleep. This prevents USB devices from being able to wake up a computer. Check your BIOS and make sure it is not selected.
The option was added because of a European Union regulation to get computer to save power. (some motherboards did not take much care in how they did things)

otherwise you might want to check for BIOS updates. It is very common to have fixes to sleep states bugs in the BIOS

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/68748-63-wake-longer-sleep

It looks like you get this.

Turning off fast boot avoids this by actually turning pc off when you shut it down.
If you look in your bios.

Look for a setting that says enable detection of legacy usb devices.

Windows sometimes from the bios calls a list of detected usb devices such as the mouse and keyboard connected via the Usb ports.

Make sure enable detection of usb legacy devices is enabled in the bios of the motherboard.

The other setting in the bios to look at if the board has a Uefi bios and support for other Uefi enabled hardware.
IS in the advanced settings mode option of your bios.

This will depend from board to board but most Uefi bios have a basic and advanced mode option that you can switch between.

OK.

So look for an option called CSM mode.
Make sure it is enabled in the bios, or set to a manual setting.
For detection of hardware devices and Initialization, set the order to Legacy op rom \ Uefi.

Have a quick check in the bios for a page where it should list all of the available or amount of usb ports the motherboard can run.

In some cases each port can be disabled or enabled, depending on how many ports you wish to use.

Save all of the new changes made in the bios before you exit it.

A quick mention about USB 3.0 ports, a lot of hard ware such as keyboards or a mouse do not like to be connected to a USB 3.0 specification port, and do not work right or are detected properly if connected to them.

USB 3.0 ports have a blue plastic tongue to denote they are 3.0 specification.

Black plastic tongue are USB 2.0 specification.

And white plastic tongue are USB 1.0 specification.

If you have not used the supplied motherboard driver Dvd provided with the motherboard and installed the drivers from it for your motherboard.

Thinking windows 10 detected and set up all of your hardware, Still install all of the drivers on your system found on the provided dvd supplied with the motherboard.

It should resolve the keyboard and mouse not being detected in windows 10 after this.

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Hello, thank you for your post.

I do not think that this answer really solves my problem. I specifically mentioned that my mouse and keyboard work fine, but that the computer does not detect hardware plugged in after booting. I also mentioned that I have installed the latest motherboard drivers from ASRock's website. I also show in the video that I have legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS.

This does not really solve my issue of hardware not being detected and the reboot hanging when I see this issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you test these usb devices on another computer? check they aren't the problem, I had a problem with one USB device that would lead to windows hanging on a reset as it couldn't detect the device and seemed to be waiting for a reply. But that also happened at start up and would lead to no desktop loading...

You could turn off fast start up as it will mean PC turns off when you shut it down. Win 10 normally uses a hibernate so it never actually turns off except when you hit restart. http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

I am going to pick this as a solution, I ended up just resetting my PC to factory settings again and have not seen the problem since. I do not know what the root cause actually was though.

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Hmm I wish I could unmark this question as resolved. I just had this issue when I turned on my PC when coming home from work. So my computer had been off for many hours. Started it up (without having disabled fast start up), and the USB device was not detected after being plugged in. Tried to restart and it hung.

Then after restarting the USB device detected just fine.

So I have disabled fast shut down and that may end up solving the problem, I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I just do not understand why it only happens if my computer has been turned off for a long time. If the USB device is detected and then I shut down my computer and start it back up (while fast start up is on) than the USB device continues to work. It only seems to happen if I leave my PC shut down for a while.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have seen a BIOS that had a EU power setting that actually fully turns off power to your USB devices after a sleep. This prevents USB devices from being able to wake up a computer. Check your BIOS and make sure it is not selected.
The option was added because of a European Union regulation to get computer to save power. (some motherboards did not take much care in how they did things)

otherwise you might want to check for BIOS updates. It is very common to have fixes to sleep states bugs in the BIOS

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/68748-63-wake-longer-sleep

It looks like you get this.

Turning off fast boot avoids this by actually turning pc off when you shut it down.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.