Custom refresh rates on a 144hz monitor?

BobTheMessiah

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
So I'm getting the Acer XG270HU, 144hz monitor. It comes with freesync, but I'm going with an nvidia card (the 1080 probably).

Seeing as freesync is not nvidia compatible, will I be able to define a custom refresh rate (and resolution) for when I'm getting say 90fps avg in a game and want to set my hz to 90 as well to minimize the difference between fps and hz?

I know at the moment in my AMD control panel thing I can set custom resolutions and refresh rates, but as I've only ever had a 60hz monitor I've never made use of it.

So I just wanted to make sure that if I can't make use of Freesync (or G-Sync) that I can still match hz to fps the long way around.

thanks!

Solution
No worries!

Yes me English comprehension isn't that high, I caught it quickly before I looked like a fool! :p

Yes, screen tearing happens both above and below your refresh rate in FPS. Your GPU is producing frames at a dynamic rate, where as your monitor runs at a static rate. These two don't play nice together, and here's what happens:

Your monitor asks for a frame from your GPU every 6.9 ms (in the case of a 144 Hz monitor), and if the monitor asks for a frame while your GPU is copying it's frame from the back-buffer to the frame-buffer, you get tearing.

With that said, if you're getting 144 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor, the frames are shown on screen faster than 60 FPS at 60 Hz, so screen tearing is much less noticeable.
So, you want to create your own GSync? I'm afraid that's not possible without extensive knowledge in electrical engineering and software engineering. :)

The custom resolution page you see, is there to change your resolution to something that you might want to use, but Windows doesn't list by default. You can also use that page to overclock your monitor. This won't damage the monitor, but you need to pass a frame skipping test as well, post overclocking, to ensure it's working as it should. 144 Hz is already very high, I wouldn't be worried about it bud.

Just incase I didn't understand your question correctly. Are you saying that you want a dynamic refresh rate, instead of a static one? That's not possible. If you're saying that you want to lower the refresh rate depending on what FPS you get in a given game, then yes, that's possible.

BobTheMessiah

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

Hi, Suzuki thanks for your reply

I meant the last point. If I'm getting 90fps in a game (as that's the best my 1080 can do), and I'm getting tearing as the monitor is set to 144hz, then I'd like to be able to set my monitor to 90hz..

Which reminds me, i've never gotten a straight answer for this: does getting, say 70 fps on a 120hz monitor (set to 120hz) cause tearing?
I know the opposite is true: I currently get 140fps in BF4 on a 60hz monitor and it causes terrible tearing. But I've never read a claim that the reverse is true...

No worries!

Yes me English comprehension isn't that high, I caught it quickly before I looked like a fool! :p

Yes, screen tearing happens both above and below your refresh rate in FPS. Your GPU is producing frames at a dynamic rate, where as your monitor runs at a static rate. These two don't play nice together, and here's what happens:

Your monitor asks for a frame from your GPU every 6.9 ms (in the case of a 144 Hz monitor), and if the monitor asks for a frame while your GPU is copying it's frame from the back-buffer to the frame-buffer, you get tearing.

With that said, if you're getting 144 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor, the frames are shown on screen faster than 60 FPS at 60 Hz, so screen tearing is much less noticeable.

Solution

You can choose any refresh rate upto 144hz you prefer, but it will be static.
But you are making a huge mistake here. Either buy an amd card now or wait for them to bring their Polaris architecture.
Fressync is just too awesome to miss. I can't stress this enough!

If you insist on gong this way, yes, you can test to see where your framerates lie in a game, then set the monitor at a slightly lower frequency and enalbe in Nvidia control panel something calle adaptive Vsync. That means that V-sync only turns itself on when the GPU is spitting more frames than your refresh rate, ergo you are capper at said refresh rate and won't experience tearing.
However, this would be ill advised, as, at 144Hz teh monitor is fast enough that tearing is nearly noticeable, so i would leave it at 144 and jsut enable adaptive V-sync for less demanding games where there's teh possibility that the GPU will produce more than 144 FPS.

Anyway, as i said in my previous post, getting an nvidia card on a FreeSync monitor would be a very bad choice, as you would be passing on one of teh greatest advancement in gaming in years.

BobTheMessiah

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

You seem very excited about Freesync, are you of the opinion that it is better than G-Sync?

The reason I might seem in a hurry to go for the GTX 1080 is because my HTC Vive is arriving soon and I don't know if my R9390PCS+ will keep up with it.

It's not superior to G-sync. It's equivalent. The issue here is that you have a Freesync monitor so if you go with nvidia, you'll get neither.

BobTheMessiah

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

Thanks Suzuki

I've never had the opportunity to see tearing caused by fps<hz as I don't have a fast monitor yet, but the theory makes sense I think.

From what I've read on a few articles now, tearing is only an issue at lower fps (circa 60) and over 90fps freesync or gsync make very little noticeable difference.
In that case I wouldn't be too hung up on making use of freesync or gsync (one asus IPS panel only does gsync up to 90hz anyway): If I were playing an older twitch fps game I'd be running 144hz and vsync off with fps being near 144fps as well.

On a newer more demanding game, I reckon (and we'll know tomorrow!) even with a 1080 I'm likely to get nearer to 60fps, which is perfectly fine, in which case I'll set the monitor to 60hz. In my current gaming I don't notice tearing at 60hz with fps going from 45-70fps, so my eyes aren't THAT sensitive. Anything under 45 gives me headache from stutter, nevermind the tearing.

BobTheMessiah

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

I see. My problem is geographic though. I can't get a Gsync monitor for the price of this freesync monitor here (South Africa). The very nice Acer XB270HU (IPS, GSync) simply isn't being brought in, so I'd have to get it off amazon in dollars and use a my own shipping forwarder, which will bring the price up to the ASUS rog equivalent here, basically 33% premium over the Acer TN panel.

Yup. Forget tearing. Stuttering is the main thing adaptive-sync fixes. And it makes sense at whatever frequency. Just don;'t make the mistake of dismissing it before experiencing it yourself. Consider yourself warned :)

You can't get equivalent G-sync monitors at the price of Fressync anywhere in teh world. Nvidia's solution requires a module in the monitor, and this has shown to comman a 150 to 200 $ premium over teh equivalent FS monitor.

BobTheMessiah

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

Any idea when AMD launches their new cards then?

BobTheMessiah

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Yup. Forget tearing. Stuttering is the main thing adaptive-sync fixes. And it makes sense at whatever frequency. Just don;'t make the mistake of dismissing it before experiencing it yourself. Consider yourself warned :)[/quotemsg]

Stuttering at over 60fps? surely not, I only get stuttering under say 45 fps, over that the game is smooth. Or does stuttering not mean what I think it means?

There is micro-stuttering even above 45fps. You may not notice it consciously, but your visual system does. The movement just doesn't feel completly fluid. Adaptive-sync eliminates that, as long as your gpu can push the frames.
AMD is supposed to announce at the end of the month, but we don't know if they'll bring direct competitors for the 1080, or if we'll have to wait until october for Vega.
Regardless, it's easy for you as you have a 390. Wait for the monitor, play with FreeSync and decide for yourself. You'll have time as i assume you are not willing to pay $100 extra for the "founders edition" stuff.