I can't get a part time job because of school and grades. What are solutions?

Joongi Baek

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014
I want a new job so I can get a gaming pc, but unfortunatly due to grades and school I can't get a job, and my parents are not allowing me to get a job. What are solutions?

Solution

1. Hit the books so that you can bring your grades up to a reasonable level according to your parents.
2. Then go get a job. Take the money and save it rather than getting a computer, though.

The unsolicited advice part of my response is that unless South Korea is grossly different from the U.S. (and it might be), you would actually do better to have a part-time job and a B average rather than no job and an A average. Grades are a high-pass filter. If you get too low of an average, then it's a problem as you are below the cutoff. But as long as you are...

1. Hit the books so that you can bring your grades up to a reasonable level according to your parents.
2. Then go get a job. Take the money and save it rather than getting a computer, though.

The unsolicited advice part of my response is that unless South Korea is grossly different from the U.S. (and it might be), you would actually do better to have a part-time job and a B average rather than no job and an A average. Grades are a high-pass filter. If you get too low of an average, then it's a problem as you are below the cutoff. But as long as you are above the cutoff, there is NO difference between somebody who has a B average and somebody who got straight As since kindergarten. Absolutely NO difference. I was one of the people who was pushed by his parents to get all As, and I did. Didn't make any difference getting into college, nor graduate work. As long as you get "good enough" grades, that's all they are looking for. Getting a job teaches you much more about people and the real world and in my experience (I work in a human relations field- yes, with an engineering degree) that is much more valuable than getting one more A instead of a B ever will. However, convincing your parents this may be tough as my parents (now retiree age) also bought into the "if you get as high of grades as you can, it will really help" mantra of THEIR generation. Unfortunately that is not true today, at least in the U.S.

Solution