Timing my New Build with Windows 10 Free Upgrade Limited Time !? Got a Spare Windows 7 Key - Reserve Win 10 for Future Build?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
This is my current gaming build:
X2 Gigabyte G1 Gaming Geforce GTX 980 SLI
Core i5-3570K (running @ 4.2 Ghz auto voltage OC)
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
16 GB of G.Skill Ripjaw-X DDR3 1600Mhz (x.m.p profile)
SSD 256GB Crucial M4
HD Western Digital Black 2TB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Case: Corsair CC600T Graphite White Special Edition
PSU: Corsair 850AX Gold
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 2560 x 1440p @ 144 MHz + Nvidia G-Sync.
Secondary Screen: 55" TV: Samsung UA55D6400 TV1080p @ 60 MHz -Connected via Pioneer VSX-823-K AV Receiver (Home Theater System)

Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

It is approximately 3 years and 9 months old. Aside from the GTX 980 SLI which is roughly 1-1.5 years old.

I recently made a thread here:
Asking if I should:
1. Upgrade now (my GPU).
2. Build a brand new gaming rig now - from scratch.
3. OR wait - a year or few years before making a brand new build.

For now I've decided to postpone my new build, although I would appreciate your opinions about this as well.

But first, for the main question:

What about Windows 10?

I got my Windows 10 upgrade - with Microsoft's free upgrade offer back at July-Aug 2015.

However, the Free Windows 10 Upgrade offer is limited to 1 year - and the offer expires soon - by 29 July 2016!!!

So now comes my great dilemma and distress, if I may add.
Buying a brand new copy of Windows 10 Pro costs A LOT.

I assume that if I make a new build from scratch, I cannot use my current Windows 10 Pro key, or can I?
What if I want to have both this build and the new build - working with Windows 10?

Since this key is registered to this PC (to the motherboard I use) - does replacing (upgrade) or buying a new motherboard (brand new PC build) - requires you to buy an additional OS copy?

Keep in mind that I don't want to put this current system out of order - since it is still High-End and very powerful. I can definitely use it as a secondary system for gaming, LAN-like family gaming and work - hopefully for many years to come.

But here's another thing: I have an UN-USED, NEVER OPENED - COPY OF WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64BIT.

I want to reserve the right for a free upgrade to Windows 10 - for this specific Windows 7 Ultimate Key.
How do I do that?
If I install this copy of Windows 7 Ultimate anywhere - and the upgrade to Windows 10 with the still-on-going free upgrade offer. What happens when I make a new rig in say 1-2 years from now? Won't the key count as used and unavailable for a new system?

This is really confusing.
I don't want to miss a chance for a free upgrade, and be forced to buy Windows 10 next time I make my new build.

Is there a way to clinch and reserve the Windows 10 upgrade for my Windows 7 Ultimate copy - without wasting it?
Something like upgrading the Key itself to Windows 10 - so I can reserve it for a future build?

(btw I have both OSs - Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate - on discs, the latter never opened).
Please help and thank you for your reading a patience.

Solution
You said I should go with a clean install, thus there is no 'original os' only the ISO I need to create.

So how do I make sure the iso will count as Win10 PRO? (Win 7 becomes Win10 Pro).
Because of the license type of the license that you input during the install.
Win 7 U will activate a Win 7 Pro install

You enter the license key during the install, not after. It is actually near the beginning of thge process.

Once a system and license has been Upgraded to Win 10 (whether an actual Upgrade or a clean install and using the original license), the old license and hardware info is registered at Microsoft.
Subsequent install on that same hardware are no problem.

Now we come to the weird part - A Win 7 Retail license, Upgraded to...

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

....But is there a way to upgrade the Windows 7 Ultimate key (the one from the unopened - never installed disc) - to Windows 10? So I reserve it for future use (forever basically?).

EDIT: Or perhaps I can somehow use the same Windows 10 key (one on my current build) - with a new system? Is that possible?

I read here that you can re-activate the same code when you buy a new Motherboard - or make a new system -you just need to re-install Windows and re-activate. But I am not sure how it works and if it works when you have the older system intact and running the same Windows 10.

**Maybe I should contact MS in Israel and ask them to "UPGRADE" my copy of Windows 7 remotely -so I reserve the upgrade?**

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I really need more answers. Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 10 freely after the current time limit? Can I use the same Windows 10 on a different system? What If I had to replace motherboard or technically - like most users - build a new system once in a while - do you need to buy a new OS every time? Because I read online that you can use the same Windows 10 license on new builds.

What about the un-opened Windows 7 Ultimate - can I somehow upgrade it now - without wasting it - and in that way reserve the free Windows 10 - to when I actually buy and build the new system - say in a year or 2 (more or less)?

C'mon guys, I need you, please.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

It is retail - I have the Win 7 disc. Same for my current gaming rig - I have a Win 8 disc.
How exactly? Are you sure it won't "bind" the new OS (Win7>Win10) to the PC I'll use for the process?
Should I install a second OS or what?
How do I do that, yet make sure it won't "bind" itself to any specific old hardware?

I have a laptop -I might install Windows 7 on it and upgrade - then remove the secondary system. Never installed a secondary OS before (2 OS at once I mean). So not entirely sure how to set it up right).

Thanks for replying again. Please be as specific as you can - so I won't screw things up or waste too much time. Appreciated.

EDIT: (to make things clear - I don't even know WHEN I will make a new PC - but if I can reserve the right for another Win10 - that will be great! A shame if I will waste the opportunity before the free upgrade offer expires).

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. You can use your existing, unused, valid Win 7/8 license to install and activate a new Win 10 install.
However, it must be installed and activated before July 28 2016.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't 'reserve now, install after July 28'
It must be installed and activated before the free period is up.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Sorry, but I really need to get a clear, full answer here.
How is this done exactly?
I thought it's a fact - that you cannot use the same copy of Windows on multiple computers.
So if I install with the product key on one of my current systems today, how can I make sure the license will still be free afterwards - so I can use it (again) with a brand new build?

For instance, I take my laptop (which already has its own Windows 10 btw upgraded from win7). I install a secondary OS (dual boot - I guess?) - which is the never-used un-opened Win7 Ultimate I mentioned. I upgrade it to Windows 10 immediately. (Then what?!...)
So, isn't the license now bound and restricted to this specific computer?

How can I re-use it for my new build - which I'll probably make in at least a year or few from now?
Because technically - if I can re-use it, what prevents me from using the same Win 10 license on all my pcs? Forgive my lack of knowledge on licensing.

Please explain this with detail.
Also can you please elaborate on the process, step by step?
I have 3 (currently used) computers (1 primary rig, 1 very old pc, 1 old laptop) and a single sealed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. What should I do? Thank you.

EDIT: One more question - when I actually build and run the new system - would I need to install Windows 7 from the retail disc - then upgrade? Or can I somehow directly install Windows 10? ( I assume the first method is easier and makes sure your license is registered).

USAFRet

Titan
A Windows 10 that was installed and activated prior to July 28, 2016 will remain running, forever.

No, you cannot use the same license on multiple PC's. The OS checks once in a while. If the activation server sees the same license from 2 different PC's, one or both will become deactivated.

"I have 3 (currently used) computers (1 primary rig, 1 very old pc, 1 old laptop) and a single sealed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. What should I do? Thank you."

That Win 7 U is good for 1 and only 1 PC.

The Upgrade to Win 10 is only available for free for a year. After that, if you wish to install on new hardware, you'll have to purchase it. Just like any other software.

Many answers here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I don't understand your answer.
Is this possible or not?
Didn't you guys say I can install it now on any system, then upgrade and it should transfer to a brand new pc?

Can I Install it on my old laptop, then upgrade, then somehow delete or deactivate. And then in a year or few years - install the Win 7 U on a brand new machine (100% new hardware) - and freely upgrade to windows 10?

I thought once upgraded - its yours forever. No system runs forever, many users choose to clean install and format the pc. So it is virtually very similar. If someone formats now and install win after july28- I can only assume he can upgrade.

At any rate - can I upgrade the Win 7 U license and then "RELEASE" it for future use? It can't be that complicated. Maybe MS can release the activation to reserve it for a new build in the future?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
UPDATE: OK I was just at the phone with one of Microsoft technical support guys in Israel.
After asking the question in detail - he said he never heard a question such as this, which is rather funny - it should be a very common query - and that he had to ask his fellow co-workers.
The after a short wait on the line he said that I have to take the following procedures:
1. Install Windows 7 Ultimate on any current (old) PC.
2. Immediately upgrade to Windows 10 - with the free upgrade tool from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
3. Then let the servers auto validate and register my license for Windows 10 copy.
4. He said I should probably leave the Windows installed just in case - for this I think I should go with dual-booting and installing a secondary OS on my old PC or old laptop perhaps. He didn't offer any advice about this.
5. Afterwards, I need to download the Media Creation Tool and create an ISO - on bootable USB device.
6. When I buy the computer in the future - say a year or few years from now - I would need to take the ISO USB - and install Windows 10 cleanly on a fresh system.
Meaning - I should NOT install Windows 7 - since the Upgrade Now option will be disabled and removed after July 28 2016.
So I need a working Windows 10 ISO to install Windows 10 with on a brand new hardware (new, future system).
7. During Windows 10's installation - when asked for a Product Key - I should insert Windows 7 Ultimate's Product Key - directly during the installation process.
*He also claimed that I can always call Microsoft Tech Support again and tell them that my old PC is out-of-order and/or that I've bought a new system - and that I want to re-activate my RETAIL copy of Windows 10 on the new PC. That they should help - at worst case scenario they will use some special admin commands to free the product key so I can activate once more.
I don't know if I can count on that. I can only hope...

8. And that's it. That should allow activation of a legitimate copy of Windows 10 on a brand new system - AFTER July 28 2016.

Important to note that this can only be done with a retail copy of Windows 7/8 and should be performed right away (before the offer expires).

You think he was right? Can I count on that? If so - then I will open the sealed Windows 7 U copy right away and start long the process.
---

**I did however find a small catch - that the representative wasn't aware off. I swear many times I feel that I have more technical knowledge than official support crew of companies like MS:
When making the bootable ISO file, if you prepare it using the Media Creation Tool on - for instance - Windows 7 Home: Then the ISO itself would be LOCKED to Windows 10 HOME version.
This means, that if I want to upgrade my Windows 7 Ultimate - to a Windows 10 PRO - and if I want ACTIVATION to work and succeed - I MUST MAKE (using the mct) THE ISO-USB ON WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE.
So I think I will make the USB-ISO soon and put the USB aside, until the time comes when Ibuild a new machine.
Unless you have a better suggestion? Perhaps I can make the ISO now, save on an external HD, and then in the future - reapply the ISO to a bootable USB somehow?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Install Windows 7 Ultimate on any current (old) PC.
2. Immediately upgrade to Windows 10 - with the free upgrade tool from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

I don't see why you'd need t install Win 7, and then Upgrade that. You can install Win 10 clean, and use that Win 7 license when it asks.

**I did however find a small catch - that the representative wasn't aware off. I swear many times I feel that I have more technical knowledge than official support crew of companies like MS:
When making the bootable ISO file, if you prepare it using the Media Creation Tool on - for instance - Windows 7 Home: Then the ISO itself would be LOCKED to Windows 10 HOME version.
This means, that if I want to upgrade my Windows 7 Ultimate - to a Windows 10 PRO - and if I want ACTIVATION to work and succeed - I MUST MAKE (using the mct) THE ISO-USB ON WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE.
So I think I will make the USB-ISO soon and put the USB aside, until the time comes when Ibuild a new machine.
Unless you have a better suggestion? Perhaps I can make the ISO now, save on an external HD, and then in the future - reapply the ISO to a bootable USB somehow?

This is incorrect.
The ISO matters not. It is what system (and license) you are Upgrading.

In the Media Creation Tool, there is no selection of Home or Pro.
QzGg5W7.png

The resulting OS (Home or Pro) derives from whatever license is being Upgraded.
I have used the same ISO (Windows 10 selected in the above pic), on a Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro install. It derives from the original OS.

-------------------------------------
6. When I buy the computer in the future - say a year or few years from now - I would need to take the ISO USB - and install Windows 10 cleanly on a fresh system.
Meaning - I should NOT install Windows 7 - since the Upgrade Now option will be disabled and removed after July 28 2016.
So I need a working Windows 10 ISO to install Windows 10 with on a brand new hardware (new, future system).
7. During Windows 10's installation - when asked for a Product Key - I should insert Windows 7 Ultimate's Product Key - directly during the installation process.
-------------------------------------

Unknown, but probable. As of the November 2015 version (1511) you can install Win 10 and use an unused, qualifying Win 7 or 8.1 license to activate it.

---------------------------------
"After asking the question in detail - he said he never heard a question such as this, which is rather funny - it should be a very common query - and that he had to ask his fellow co-workers."
---------------------------------
Not so weird that he has not heard of this. This procedure for installing and activating is brand new. Only since last July. And wanting to somehow preserve an unused free Upgrade long past the free period (July 2015-July 2016) is completely new.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for replying.
So wait a sec.
If you said I should go with a clean install, wouldn't that mean there is no 'original os' only the ISO I need to create?

So how do I make sure the ISO will install Win10 PRO - so it activates properly? (Win 7 U becomes Win10 Pro)

Are you saying that it doesn't matter which system I PREPARE THE ISO-USB on?

I am asking this because, iirc, when I last prepared a bootable ISO on a Windows 10 Pro back in July 2015, with the Media Creation Tool, and then tried installing it on a system that had Win 7 home originally -after the installation (I didn't enter a key during the process) - it failed to activate - because it installed a Win Pro (from the ISO). The iso didn't match the license.
But I never got an option to choose if I want Win Pro or Win Home. At least not during the installation of Win.

So I had to prepare another ISO this time on the Home Premium machine (don't remember how exactly) and redo everything.

So I think the ISO does matter somehow...

I am sorry for the confusion. This is quite complicated. I am trying to figure out the ISO making, installing and license activating part mainly.

Can we please sum up the steps I should take in short?

Where and how to prepare the ISO with MCT?
How to install Win 10 cleanly on some old uses machine? (Dual boot perhaps - so I want have to delete anything)?

When to enter the key of Win 7 - during or after installation?

How to 'reserve' it ? And how to install Win 10 in the future (post July 2015) and activate successfully?

I can't wait to get this done so I can rest assured I have a copy of Win 10 whhen the time comes to build a new rig

I hope this guide will help others as well. Appreciate the help

USAFRet

Titan
You said I should go with a clean install, thus there is no 'original os' only the ISO I need to create.

So how do I make sure the iso will count as Win10 PRO? (Win 7 becomes Win10 Pro).
Because of the license type of the license that you input during the install.
Win 7 U will activate a Win 7 Pro install

You enter the license key during the install, not after. It is actually near the beginning of thge process.

Once a system and license has been Upgraded to Win 10 (whether an actual Upgrade or a clean install and using the original license), the old license and hardware info is registered at Microsoft.
Subsequent install on that same hardware are no problem.

Now we come to the weird part - A Win 7 Retail license, Upgraded to Win 10.
Seeing as how the Win 10 'digital entitlement' is actually a hash of the original Win 7 license AND info from the system...reinstall in the future on new hardware may involve a call to MS.
This was alluded to in your call to MS.

But starting from a Retail license, they will almost assuredly allow that Win 10 to be moved to new hardware.

Overall, though..what you are looking into is uncharted territory.
Not "I have a PC, what if it breaks?" That's easy.
But rather..."I have an unused Win 7 license, and I want to somehow preserve the free Win 10 Upgrade for some point 2 years from now, long after the free Upgrade period runs out."

This is all new. And no one has all the answers, not even the dude at Microsoft.
It was exactly the same in the run up to the launch of Win 10.
"What if..."
"How does it work...?"
"Can I..."

No one knew 100% either way. And LOTS of speculation, most of it badly wrong.
Same thing now that the free Upgrade period is nearing an end.

Solution

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Hey again - so that day finally came, that I must make haste and perform this procedure start to finish.
So to sum things up and make sure I get this right:

1. I take my laptop (my "3rd" usable computer) which already has Windows 10 installed on it.
2. Then I need to install another copy of Windows 10 from USB - using Media Creation Tool and Windows 10 ISO USB.
3. At this point - how to I do this exactly?
Do I need to shrink my disk volume through Disk Management - then install windows 10 on the new partition? (only 1 drive on the laptop).
I have never done that before - never DUAL-installed a 2nd Windows system (dual boot).
Can you give me a quick step-by-step guide on the process?

4. Finally - during Windows 10's installation when prompt to enter a Product Key:
I will use my Windows 7 Ultimate key from the retail box.
5. Then I start things up - and make sure that Windows has finished validating online.
6. After the new Windows 10 is fully validated - I can (or should?) format the drive and the 2nd installation of Windows along with it. (How?)

Will appreciate you help and tips. Gotta hurry and finish this Before July 28!!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

ermmm... well perhaps because the laptop already has Windows 10 (oem Win 8 license that came with the pc) - so I figured in order to "upgrade" my un-used, never opened, copy of Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro (retail) - I needed a fresh install of Windows.
...So since my laptop is currently in-use and I don't want to change anything crucial and keep its Windows 10 setup in-tact.... I figured I must install another Windows 10.

Anyway... what I am doing wrong, then?
I do get a feeling I am doing something unnessary. Perhaps you have a better idea for this whole "upgrading to Windows 10 and validating using Win 7 code -while keeping it for future use" plan?

USAFRet

Titan

"future use"
How far in the 'future' are we talking about?

USAFRet

Titan

1 or 2 years (or more).
Just budget a new OS with the new PC. Or use the currently unused WIn 7 U.

But...
If you partition your current laptop drive in half, it will be very confusing.

The following may or may not work:
----------------------------------------
Is this a true Retail Win 7 U license? If so...
Do you have another laptop drive?
If not, get one.
Install Win 10 on this new blank drive.
Use the Win 7 license to activate it.
Take that drive out, and stash it away.
Later, 2 years from now, install that drive in this new theoretical PC.
Maybe it will boot, maybe it won't.
If it does, good.
Does it remain activated? Maybe yes, maybe no.
If not, then call MS and plead your case.

Then clone that to the actual drive in this new theoretical PC.
------------------------------------------
This all just theory and speculation, because we have never seen this licensing model from MS before.

Or, just budget in a new OS for this far future PC.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Wait wait. Aren't we going backwards? I thought we said the plan is solid when we discussed it a month or so ago.

We said:
Install Windows 10 anywhere.
Use your unused product key of Windows 7 U during installation.
Let Windows 10 validate.
Done.
Then 1-2 mor/less years from now Install Windows 10 on a jew machine and use the same Windows 7 U product key. If troubles insues in the validation process contact Microsoft - and not sure how - but plead my case - asking for them to verify and allow me to use this key on a new Win10 machine. Perhaps cliam my old PC is dead or that the process was discussed previously with their representative, dunno. Hard to explain this case.

I thought Microsoft generally allows transfer of Win from 1 machine to another - as people upgrade/lose their system (PC 'breaks' or instances and you replace it).

I don't have a spare laptopdrive or hard disk. I do have an external powered HD.
WD Elements of Western Digital 1 or 2 TB irrc. Will that work?

I don't see why I need to clone or even stash the copy of Windows, if it is validated - it is validated no?
We can pretend the drive or pc breaks - then you just transfer your os by installing it anew on a new pc.
Isn't that possible? Or is MS strict about you having to buy new os every time you replace something?
If only I could just call MS and ask them to directly upgrade this key and validate it for Windows 10 without tieing it to any machine yet....

Going to sleep now... 5 am here.. see your response later. Thanks a bunch you rock!

USAFRet

Titan
Either way, I strongly suggest not installing it on a second partition.

so...either...
Install Win 10 n a new drive and get it activated
Stash it until...

or

Install Win 10 and get it activated
Later, attempt to install it again on this new machine. Use that same Win 7 U license.

Will either of these 2 paths work 2 years from now? Your crystal ball is as good as mine.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Hey there again, sorry to bother you again with this but...
The second option?...Where exactly should I install it? Considering I don't have a new machine that's Windows free?

About the first option - don't really have a drive to spare - BUT I have a 1TB WD Elements External Hard-drive. Would that work? Can I install Windows 10 on this drive somehow without messing it up? (so basically without making it spread hundreds of folders inside my External Drive that serves as back storage atm.

- Why not install on a 2nd partition via Dual-booting? Not a lot of different between that or a new drive, no? Since Windows key identity is actually linked to the PC own id (I think its Mobo/mac address) - not a specific drive.

I am just stuck at the most basic thing now -where to install Windows exactly.

Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan
An external drive won't work.
Can you do it on a second partition? Yes, but a second partition on your drive will conflate the two boot selections. Every time you boot up, you'll have to choose.

Also...you are talking about putting this in a whole new build in a year or two. I would not count on this actually working for that future PC.

Finally, you have 2 days to finish this. It must be installed and activated before July 29.