Fresh Install Windows - Mobo drivers on Win 10?

cameronmc88

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hello,

So I just installed Windows 10 freshly on my PC and in device manager it shows no issues with any device, all drivers that Windows 10 had are great.

But I did notice on my motherboard web site there is a couple of drivers from 2015 ASMedia SATA3 Driver, Asmedia USB 3.0/3.1 XHCI Driver, Intel Management Engine driver, Realtek high definition audio driver and INF Driver (2016)

Now as I said audio, usb etc. all working fine with fresh Windows 10 install and whatever drivers are used.

My question is: Should I go download the mobo drivers? or would Windows 10 automatically pick the best ones for my mobo and most current.

Kind Regards,
Cameron

Solution
Windows contains basic drivers for many/most drivers and various chipsets. The drivers at the mobo site, are generally complete and often are tweaked by the mobo manufacturer to better co-exist with other components of the mobo. I generally always get the latest from the mobo site
My rule re drivers is to install the drivers from the motherboard's manufacturer. Then I follow the rule "if it's not broken, don't fix it". I've seen too many cases where folks start fooling around with drivers and end up with problems they didn't have before.

Good luck.

cameronmc88

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Well nothing is broken as of now with Fresh Installation, haven't touched anything from the Manufacturers website. Just wondered If the drivers that came with Windows 10 are some generic crap that works but it's not "Perfect" and the stuff from my motherboard manufacturers website is higher quality.

Example: Generic Audio Driver that came with Windows 10 works but the sound quality isn't as good as If I had installed the motherboard manufacturers driver.

Or is this not the case as I have asked in the example?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Windows contains basic drivers for many/most drivers and various chipsets. The drivers at the mobo site, are generally complete and often are tweaked by the mobo manufacturer to better co-exist with other components of the mobo. I generally always get the latest from the mobo site

Solution