Dual boot win 10 SSD win7X64 win7

gica69

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Read lots on this issue and have tried different ways to do it. I cannot get the bot menu where to choose the OS. So I have win 7 HDD that I've been using. Too it out and inserted the Seagate 600 SSD that I bought and did the win 8.1+ upgrade to windows 10. I hooked up the other HDD and then it boot straight to windows 10 with no dual boot options. Install Easy BCD2.3 in win 10 add drive restart and cannot boot on win 10 hard drive. I can boot fine in the win 7 HDD. Should I boot in win 7 and F8 it to choose I know win 10 has no option for F8. I am sure I am doing something backwards. I want to be able to choose which to boot from. Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
Why bother? Win 10 does everything Win 7 does. Unless you have driver issues for production hardware it's easier to just forget about Win 7

gica69

Commendable
May 17, 2016
There are things on the HDD that I run successfully in win 7 like car software of many kinds, like cell phone and chip flashing software that I need and am not ready to upgrade from entirely. So my question is not about alternatives but a how to tutorial of some sort. Plus I am running the win 10 on the new SSD so trial and error then jump in head first. Thanks anyways but still waiting for a way.

Since your win 7 and win10 are separate installations on separate disks the easiest solution would be to find the key to press to get the boot menu from your motherboard and just select from which drive to start.
Easybcd should have worked,you sure you did it right?You can run it from win7 as well,you will have to figure out which drive comes first in the bios priorities and edit the bcdstore of that disk to include both drives.

Windows 10 and Win7 should be able to exist like that. It's should be pretty easy edit, by hand, let alone via a program.
Which drive is set as your boot drive in BIOS?
You're trying to control your boot from Windows 10 with BCD2.3, right? Can you show us the configuration of it?

gica69

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Want to say I figured it out, this works for both win 10 and 8 on SSD and Win 7 on regular sata HD, and I assume any other combo of multiple drives, this assumes that you already have OS on both hard drives installed independent of each other, which means plugged in one at a time. Also I have SSD on Sata1 port and HDD on Sata2(both are Sata2 ports)
So first you boot into the SSD in win 8 or win 10, go to search and type advanced startup click on it , then Restart Now, choose Troubleshoot in the next screen, and Advanced Options, then choose Command Prompt option which takes you to it, be patient in case PC reboots cannot remember exactly when but patience, in the Prompt Screen type: Bootrec.exe /ScanOS it will look to see if it sees the other drive, if so type Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd which will scan disks for Windows installs compatible with your original(win8 or win10) if click Yes to allow it to add to the bootloader. Then type Exit and you're done. You will see the option to boot from more than one drive either right away or upon reboot. I found this on a different forum and I thought I'd share. It's safer for me than the EasyBcd option. Next I have to connect the SSD to Sata 3 port. Wish me luck.