I'm looking to upgrade my PC. Suggestions and help are appreciated.

GigatX

Commendable
May 17, 2016
The title speaks for itself. I currently have:
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 CPU: Intel i5 4690k Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 4 x 4GB Case: Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower PSU: Corsair CX 750W Monitor: LG 24MN43D 24-inch 1920x1080p TV Monitor

So I've been thinking of upgrading my PC by changing some parts. I was thinking of waiting for the 1080 GTX (or 1070 GTX) to launch, and for the i7 6700k to drop down in price after the 6800k gets released to buy them. Along with that a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM.

Another option would probably be to overclock my CPU and get an SSD instead of upgrading. I haven't overclocked because I've never done it before although I feel like I will benefit quite a lot if I bump it up to say 4.2-4.3 with the right cooler. I have read forums and guides on the subject but it's still new territory for me so I don't want to rush in.

I'm kinda thinking of also switching monitors since mine is a TV not a PC monitor. And while it's perfectly fine for 60 FPS 1920x1080 and I haven't had any problems with it I'd love to push past 60 FPS (esp. for some shooters like Overwatch!). I could just get a second 120 or 144 Hz monitor and do a dual setup.

My main goal is to push past 60 FPS (aiming for the 100's) in most AAA games at high/max settings. I would really love to hear from more experienced people than me (since this is my first and only PC build so far). Should I upgrade or go with overclocking?

I would overclock. it is extremely easy with currently BIOSes and if you take your time and watch the temps and stick to what you know, you cannot really ruin anything to the point that a quick clear CMOS cannot fix. As it is, that chip is pretty much as good as it gets among i5s. and i7s are no better in gaming, only for rendering and say streaming and gaming, as the extra threads are used. in fact in some scenarios the 4690K wins against the 6600K. A new monitor is a great idea, as a TV screen really is subpar, getting a SSD would be nice too.

GigatX

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Thanks for the answer! Do you think the 970 can push a decent 100 FPS on a 120/144 Hz monitor? I can use my old one as a second just to browse sites while I play on the new one. Or I could just replace my old one entirely. I will try to gather some more info on overclocking and go ahead with it but I won't push it too much. Probably around 4.2 stable should be fine for me.