Problem using my bluetooth headset on my computer (sound works, mic does not)

Ginobli

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
I have a PowerBeats2 bluetooth headset (Don't ask, got it for free) and I can't get the microphone to work. In Recording devices, the headset microphone says it is disconnected. It worked in the past before. Any suggestions?

Solution
Right mouse-click the speaker icon that appears in the System Notification Area by the date and time in the lower right hand corner, and choose Playback devices.

You should see a playback device entry for each Bluetooth profile supported by your headset.

If your device is connected, you will be able to left mouse-click the desired profile and then click the Set Default button. Windows will do it's best to use this profile, such as an A2DP profile, but if an application detects the microphone on the headset and engages it, your headset will revert to the headset profile instead. Windows is usually pretty good about switching profiles when necessary.

Ginobli

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
Thanks. Another weird thing that never happened before is this: When I open devices and printers and click on my headphones, the bluetooth device control window pops up and closes. I don't know what is going on. This was not happening before. How can you change audio profiles?

Right mouse-click the speaker icon that appears in the System Notification Area by the date and time in the lower right hand corner, and choose Playback devices.

You should see a playback device entry for each Bluetooth profile supported by your headset.

If your device is connected, you will be able to left mouse-click the desired profile and then click the Set Default button. Windows will do it's best to use this profile, such as an A2DP profile, but if an application detects the microphone on the headset and engages it, your headset will revert to the headset profile instead. Windows is usually pretty good about switching profiles when necessary.

Solution