Generic Non-PnP Monitor ASUS VS247H

Wombait

Commendable
May 18, 2016
I have an ASUS VS247H monitor that was recognized as a Generic Non-PnP Monitor around 2 years ago. This causes my monitor to display 1024x768 resolution as its native resolution when using an HDMI connection. I've scoured the internet, and here, for a solution but could never find one. So I resorted to using a VGA connection, which then recognizes the monitor by its name. I've tried lots of different brands of HDMI cords and all give the same Generic name.

I have a GTX 760 graphics card, so AMD's CCC isn't an option for me (which seems to be a fix for most, if not all, Radeon users). The "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box is grayed out, and the NVidia Control Panel doesn't offer any solutions even after I try to set up a custom resolution. This monitor has no drivers or software, and the ASUS monitor manager software thing doesn't recognize the monitor as an ASUS monitor. I've updated my graphics card's driver, and even did a 'clean' driver install. I've tried to update the driver by picking it from a list of device drivers on my computer, but ASUS isn't listed, and none of the standard monitor types with 1920x1080 60Hz resolution makes any difference.

I recently built a rig for a friend of mine using my monitor. I plugged it in via HDMI and the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box was active, so I changed it to its native 1920x1080 resolution. This worked, until I updated DirectX. Then it reverted back to 1024x768 and I couldn't change anything.

The reason this is an issue is because I have a multi-monitor setup using an old Dell 1703FP monitor that goes as high as a VGA plug as my second display. I'm upgrading to a newer graphics card and most only have one VGA plug. I don't really want to spend an extra $100+ on a new monitor just for this issue to happen again, if it happens again.

Essentially, I've tried everything and nothing is working. Even power resets.

Any suggestions?

Wombait

Commendable
May 18, 2016

That was the software I was talking about. When I install it it doesn't recognize my monitor as an ASUS monitor when using an HDMI. When using the VGA all it does is add a little option to the top of a selected window to basically reposition and resize it.