Everything reverts back after start up and Windows doesn't follow commands

John_Jonhson

Commendable
May 19, 2016
This started happening yesterday. Every time I boot up my PC everything is the same as before. For example, I downloaded CrystalDiskMark but after restarting my computer it's not there anymore. Any trace of it is gone. It's the same with my internet history and any other programs.

This is also affecting my OS. My battle.net (gaming app) wasn't working properly, so I tried doing a selective start up to see if anything clashed with it. But it booted up normally as if nothing happened. I also tried reinstalling windows, but it would just boot up without doing what it was told. It seems like anything I try to do will not stay saved.

I tried sfc scan.
I tried looking for viruses and malware.
I scanned my hard drive for any failures.

Nothing I've tried seems to work. I'm not sure what I should do next.

Solution
just a little, the installer has windows 10 on it, the recovery drive is just a repair tool. now I see you have been booting from USB but not the program I was expecting. I would make one of them but installer includes so many more options for repairing pc.

you need to download the media creation tool I linked above and make a win 10 install USB and boot from it and fresh install win 10. it will most likely fix all your problems. follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the pc (what parts are in it)

How did you reinstall windows? Did you use a win 10 install disc? or did you try a reset? You can get installer from here: Win 10 media creation tool if you don't have an installer USB or DVD

it sounds like you did a reset as installer should not have you booted into windows after you restart.

Sound s like your pc stuck on Groundhog day, every day will be the same from now on (only kidding). I don't know a cause for that problem, I don't even know what might be causing it.

John_Jonhson

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Intel i7 950
Giga-Byte GA-X58A-UD3R
6gb ddr3
amd radeon hd 5800

I tried refreshing from both windows and the usb. I'm not sure what the difference is between resetting and reinstalling.

Also, when I turned it on today, my background had changed and most of my shortcuts were gone, as if it had reset. But I couldn't click the start button or search. When I turned it off and back on it went back to my current predicament.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If there anything on pc you want to keep safe, use this: https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

now you can do that reset
its got two choices, save files and settings, or wipe it all
I normally suggest keep files and settings but your strange behaviour makes me think wiping it all and starting fresh is safest - provided you back up everything first
this will reinstall win 10 like its brand new.

Colif

Win 11 Master
just a little, the installer has windows 10 on it, the recovery drive is just a repair tool. now I see you have been booting from USB but not the program I was expecting. I would make one of them but installer includes so many more options for repairing pc.

you need to download the media creation tool I linked above and make a win 10 install USB and boot from it and fresh install win 10. it will most likely fix all your problems. follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution