1440p Monitor Advice

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I'm currently looking to upgrade my 5 year old 1080p monitor to a 1440p one. I do a lot of gaming, but not competitively to where I need 144Hz so I'm fine with 60Hz. I also do a lot of video editing. I know it may sound stupid but I care about the way it looks, meaning I want a slim border. I also want a good looking screen as well. (Colors,clarity, vibrance if that makes sense) I understand there's no such thing as the perfect monitor.

I've narrowed it down between:

Samsung 27" S27D850T

and

ASUS MX27AQ 27"

My computer hardware currently is:
Cpu - i5-2500k OC to 4.3ghz
Gpu - Nvidia 780
Memory - 16 Gb

I know people recommend getting g-sync, but I want to stay around the 400 dollar mark. I also might upgrade to a 1080 or 1070 this summer, but I personally don't think getting into 4k gaming right now is worth it. I've yet to even experience 2k.

So between those 2 (or if you have a similar recommendation) please let me know. I would appreciate your guys' input since I've done hours of browsing and can't make up my mind on what I want. :)

Solution
Have a look for reviews on TFTCentral.
I have the Dell U2713HM. The colour is fantastic and the image quality in general is great. My only disappointment with it is that there is some glow when viewed off angle, meaning in very dark scenes there is a glow particularly from the corners and black is never really black. This is typical of any IPS monitor.
I have considered the BenQ BL3200PT. This is AMVA, so much deeper blacks and better contrast.
There are some new ultra wide AMVA panels coming out this year that could be very good too. I think the models available now are 2560x1080, but there are models coming with 3440x1440.

The Samsung you have linked is based on the same panel as the BenQ BL3200PT. This suggests it should be very good, but read a detailed review.
Stay right away from the ASUS MX models. If you want a decent IPS type panel in an ASUS monitor, look at the ASUS PB278Q instead.

Out of the two i'd get the samsung.
But i must tell ya, i wouldn't for the life of me buy a monitor without adaptive sync. That's a mistake. The monitor is, after all, the best investment one can make in a pc both in importance and longevity.

Solution

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

The Samsung 27" S27D850T. I tried linking the 27" one but it does nothing to the address when you click the 27" option next to the 32" option.

OK. The is an IPS type panel similar to the ASUS.
Dot pitch is small, so the picture is crisp.
Colour is better than TN panels.
Viewing angles are good, but you'll get glow in dark scenes.

Look for detailed reviews. From memory the MX series are not as the as PB or PA. The PA monitors are designed for RGB colour rather than sRGB (professional photo editing software with workstation graphics cards), so PB would be my recommendation.
The Dell U2713HM is also a similar technology panel.

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

Ok thanks, I'll look at that site you suggested. I'm surprised at how detailed they go into reviewing monitors. I'm starting to think I should invest into G-Sync. Everyone seems to strongly recommend it.

Yup. I would dial down on the GPU just to get an adaptive-sync monitor. I kid thee not. :)

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I know I said my budget was around 400 but after doing a bit more research, I think I've come to the conclusion on getting this monitor now. This is literally the most I'll spend on a monitor haha.

Acer Predator XB271HU

I realized investing in a good monitor is worth it in the long run. And I know I'll need g-sync. I just hope I can run 1440p at 60fps minimum on a Nvidia 780...

G-sync with an Nvidia card, or freesync with an AMD card will eliminate tearing. Frame rate is whatever your GPU can produce.
These have the advantage over vsync because the frames are not delayed to sync with the monitor.
I'd call this a nice to have for a gaming monitor, and again 120 Hz or 144 Hz will reduce ghosting and lag in games if your card is fast enough.
Just make sure that you read a review covering image quality as well. I wouldn't sacrifice a decent image for these features.

Good choice and a smart move investing in a proper monitor, rather than a GPU that will be uotdated in a couple of years :)
Btw, regarding framerates, G-sync will kinda compensate for any FPS dips you may get. SO long as you set the game so as to stay within it's range.