Acer Predator GN246HLBbid or Asus VX24AH

joseph9012

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
Which monitor would be better
Acer Predator GN246HLBbid (144Hz and 1ms) or Asus VX24AH (1440p)

I will mainly use it for gaming mostly CS GO and some light photo editing

I will be getting, when it comes out GTX 1070(most likely) or 1080 and a i7 6700k or non k

I have a macbook pro so what would be the change in display if I downgraded to 1080p

Thanks

Solution
Not really worse, just different. Form factor is different 16:9 vs 16:10. Depends on the screen size to determine pixel density. 24" is about right for 100PPI at 1080. Your average Macbook Pro gets much better PPI (Retina) by having so many pixels in a smaller 15" or 17" screen. Comes down to viewing distance though.

LCD panels work by controlling the passage of light, from the backlight, through each pixel. Each pixel is open or closed to the light in varying levels.

TFT TN Film is one way to do it. It is an older and cheaper technology. It results in okay color reproduction, but not close enough for graphics work (what you see will not be what you get when it is printed for example) TN displays also have somewhat limited viewing...

joseph9012

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Thanks my Macbookpro has a 2560 x 1600 and I really like it and wondered how much worse a 1080p screen is.
Whats the difference between a TN display and an IPS display

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really worse, just different. Form factor is different 16:9 vs 16:10. Depends on the screen size to determine pixel density. 24" is about right for 100PPI at 1080. Your average Macbook Pro gets much better PPI (Retina) by having so many pixels in a smaller 15" or 17" screen. Comes down to viewing distance though.

LCD panels work by controlling the passage of light, from the backlight, through each pixel. Each pixel is open or closed to the light in varying levels.

TFT TN Film is one way to do it. It is an older and cheaper technology. It results in okay color reproduction, but not close enough for graphics work (what you see will not be what you get when it is printed for example) TN displays also have somewhat limited viewing angles, particularly above and below they will be nearly unusable.

IPS (In-Plane_Switching) or PLS(Samsung) Is another method. It is more expensive to produce, though that has somewhat changed, most LCD TVs are PLS so manufacturing is at an all time high. Very high contrast and brightness is possible with IPS and these are the class of LCDs you see meeting Adobe RGB and other color standards.

AHVA/AMVA is a PLS type method it is faster then PLS and offers quite good color reproduction. This is what you find for all of the 144hz IPS displays. (They claim decent viewing angles, I disagree, seems to have left/right issues where it goes quite gray)

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There is also AMOLED which rather then having a backlight has each pixel being an independent organic LED. Oddly manufacturing is only done at the small scale, for smartphones and tablets, or very large scale at 4K 60" plus televisions.

Personally I think it is collusion between all the manufacturers to keep their TN and PLS manufacturing lines profitable until they can afford re-tooling.