Replacing MB and CPU how do I reinstall Windows 10

Roger R

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I am replacing my motherboard and CPU. I had a retail version of Windows 7 that I upgraded to Windows 10 and then did a clean install. How do I go about reinstalling Windows 10?

Solution

Before, yes.
After, may (probably will) require a call to MS.

USAFRet

Titan

Using the MediaCreation tool, make your install media. Either USB or DVD
Install.

It may or may not activate with the new hardware. If it does not, your only recourse is to call MS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I sat on fence, I wasn't sure if his Retail licence for win 7 helped on win 10, I don't know what happens to your licence in that case.

The win 10 page doesn't tell me.

If you upgraded a retail version of Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 then after 29 July 2016 you will be unable to fully move that Windows 10 upgrade to a new device using the Windows 7 or 8.1 retail license.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/what-happens-my-free-windows-10-upgrade-after-29-july-2016-if-i-need-change-hardware

so does that mean he could move it before the cut off?

USAFRet

Titan

Before, yes.
After, may (probably will) require a call to MS.

Solution
Or a visit to the online chat MS help desk. I've had them reactivate several boards that were different than the original after upgrading those systems to Windows 10. Again, just to reiterate what USAFRet has said though, this is by no means guaranteed and is not, strictly speaking, Microsoft policy. The user agreement says if you change boards, it's a new system, and you need a new license. They have been good about it so far though.

In some cases I haven't even had to contact Microsoft but have been able to reactivate the new board by opening the "run" or "search" box and typing Slui 3 , hitting enter. That will bring up the registration applet. You can then enter your old Windows 7 product key, or your Windows 10 product key if you know that by having extracted it from the system. In each of my occasions when that method has worked, it has worked by using the older OS's product key though. A few times that has not worked and I've needed to contact the MS help desk.

I have a feeling this will continue to be the case since Microsoft has shown a strong desire to have EVERYBODY on Windows 10. I would not honestly be surprised to see them give the OS away at some point, since they ARE getting the information they've wanted to get from the telemtry and are likely making more money from selling that information than they ever did from product licenses. Then again, it's Microsoft, and they're just as likely to want to do BOTH.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
If you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1 OEM Windows 10 carries the same OEm rights that MS/OEM considers an upgrade mobo a different PC. Now if you upgraded WIndows 7 or 8.1 Retail version the same retail transfer rights carry over to Windows 10.

Windows 10 Upgrade license OEM vs Full

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.
If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):
- Includes transfer rights to another computer.
- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):
- Includes transfer rights to another computer.
- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :
OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on
- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?
As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the end user license agreement:
15. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER. a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between computers.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, that is true.
Assuming this is from MS, do you have a specific link for this?

Also....text and realworld does not always mesh.
Upgrade to 10 from Retail, swap hardware...it may not automatically activate. It may involve a chat or phone call with MS.

Bottom line:
Yes you can, but it may not be automatic.

USAFRet

Titan

I don't doubt it is accurate, just looking for a link so that everyone else can see.

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015

This link http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-license-oem-vs-full/4a3ec7d2-fced-48bf-99a8-04cb71dae9d5?auth=1 is where orlbuckeye got the info from USAFRet.

TRENDING THREADS