No wi-fi since the WIndows 10 upgrade

MissHap77

Commendable
May 20, 2016
I have lost wi-fi abilities on my HP Pavilion g6 since doing the upgrade to Windows 10. Contacted my ISP and they said to check for any updates in windows. No updates found. Tried going through HP and didn't make it very far. Any suggestions would be great!

Solution
i looked and it says "windows update will have drivers for win 10" or something like that. and really it should, is why i asking if it installed one or not.

more than likely with the specific wifi card model, the driver should be easy to get from that manufacturer's website if needed. but so far i have not had to do any such thing when updating to win 10 on many other pc's. they always get installed at install no problem.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
did windows install a driver for your wifi card? right click the start button and select device manager. is your wifi card listed with a yellow ! next to it? or is it listed under "network adapters"?

there is a difference whether it has a driver installed that does not work or if it did not install one.

you should check the HP Pavilion manufacturer product page.
if it supports Windows 10; in the downloads section it will have an updated driver package(s) specifically for Windows 10.

if it doesn't offer updated drivers for Windows 10 you may have trouble finding the correct ones, if any exist, elsewhere. and may want to revert back to previous OS.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i looked and it says "windows update will have drivers for win 10" or something like that. and really it should, is why i asking if it installed one or not.

more than likely with the specific wifi card model, the driver should be easy to get from that manufacturer's website if needed. but so far i have not had to do any such thing when updating to win 10 on many other pc's. they always get installed at install no problem.

Solution
That's the problem with upgrading laptops. I've seen a lot of posts from folks who upgraded laptops to 10 and had problems with touchpad and WiFi drivers. That's because unlike desktops, laptops have mostly proprietary parts. As Math Geek suggests, look at Device Manager and see what it says for your driver.

Good luck.

my IdeaPad's page claimed the same thing for Windows 10; drivers updated through Windows Update.

but i had to find the correct driver from Qualcomm until about 4 months later Lenovo offered their own updated 10 packages. was never offered through Windows Update though as they first stated.