Buying and bringing graphics card back from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldor711

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
I am going to America this summer and am looking to buy a graphics card for a cheaper price than in the UK (due to VAT etc.). The specific card I would be buying is the GTX 1070, worth up to £330 in the UK (when it releases).

Does this count as goods? If so,I am fairly certain I would not have to pay import tax as the UK price is not in excess of £390 (https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu). However, is this strictly true? Would I have to declare it in customs, and would I keep it in hand luggage or hold luggage?

Put it in your regular luggage, assuming of course it is locked. There is no reason for the parasites to know it is there, just as they don't need to know how many pairs of underwear you have packed.

No duty necessary , I would keep in hand luggage if it fits - be aware of the weight , you're looking at maybe 3kg boxed & full size cards likevthis come in fairly big boxes.
At the end of the day taking into account exchange rates (unless something changes drastically in the meantime) you're honestly only goingvyo save about £30 or so though

Status
Not open for further replies.