Intel® Core™ i5- vs core 2 duo

hi

i would like to know wich processor is better..... intel i5 or core 2 Duo??? cuz i'm planing to buy a vaio notebook with the core i5, but i've heard that core 2 Duo is the best, so i want to know if the core i5 is beter, worse or if both are similar.

thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about intel core core duo
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    i5 is a faster and better choice.
  2. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-350M-Notebook-Processor.23752.0.html

    Here is a site that has some useful stuff on notebook cpu's and the i3 is a great little performer that you might like to look at.

    http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=46468

    Remember the 35 watt TDP includes the CPU and Graphics ... as both are on the one die.

    Hope this helps - check the other processor comparisons on that site ... I found it quite useful.

    Hope this helps.

    Welcome to the forums.
  3. It's amazing how much misinformation floods people about computers. I have friends that still thought Pentium 4 was the fastest until I showed them the light.
  4. The i5 is brand new, and significantly faster than the Core 2 duo.
  5. the 32nm i5, which is only a dual core, would out perform a core2duo even if you disabled one of the two cores.
  6. Kewlx25 said:
    the 32nm i5, which is only a dual core, would out perform a core2duo even if you disabled one of the two cores.


    Mmm I'd say you may be pushing it a little far with that one. ;) Lots of things are dual core optimized well enough to have more 1 core bring a hefty increase in performance.
  7. Raidur said:
    Mmm I'd say you may be pushing it a little far with that one. ;) Lots of things are dual core optimized well enough to have more 1 core bring a hefty increase in performance.


    I was aiming more for that the 32nm i5 has HT enabled, so it still shows as 4 cpus, and the 2 logical cpus on 1 core would probably out perform the old core2duo with 2 physical cores.
  8. OK, thanks a lot
  9. Kewlx25 said:
    I was aiming more for that the 32nm i5 has HT enabled, so it still shows as 4 cpus, and the 2 logical cpus on 1 core would probably out perform the old core2duo with 2 physical cores.

    Even that is questionable, as 2 real cores scale much better than 1 real core with HT.
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Processors Intel i5 Components