Random blue screens & screen freezes then restarts

Unknownforces

Commendable
May 21, 2016
First time being on this website, so I don't really know what I should provide ?
But basically, I bought this pc pre-made and then bought a separate graphics card. This issue has been happening a few months after I got it like 2 years ago.

At first it wasn't this bad, just 1 crash maybe a week, then it got daily one crash, since last year or so it's been like 3 times a day and now it's just unusable. I've replaced the ram, hard drive & I replaced the power supply shortly after I got it because it wasn't big enough. (previously had 550v now 850v) and i've updated all my drivers. I googled the error that displayed on blue screen once (System_service_exception) and it basically said it was a corrupt registry file, which should be fixed when I changed hard drives right?

My system:
AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
32 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 (overclocked)

Solution

I don't think a fresh install will fix your particular problem.
Your CPU temp. You will be surprised how quick your CPU will heat up.

I did an experiment and started my i5 without a heat sink. About 5 seconds after starting the computer I touched the CPU and it was hot enough to burn my finger. The CPU gets hot quick.

Based on your logs it seems you are crashing on different events so I tend to think hardware.
You said it has progressively got worse so that helps me think hardware and in...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Welcome to Toms :)

download and run this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will look at your error logs and tell us a little more about that error

Copy/paste a screenshot of the results in here and I will see whats happening.

Its a start, it may not tell us anything

can you run this and also share a screen shot of its first page - it will just give us more info about systems make up (Just get free version): https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

did you use a program to update drivers or just manually? Try using Driver Booster and see if you missed anything.

Try running SFC /scannow in command prompt with admin rights
it might be able to fix up the registry

Unknownforces

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Oh, so I have 16gb of ram since I took the old ones out my bad.

Here is the WhoCrashed :

http://imgur.com/yxFvaQD

and here is the Speccy :

http://imgur.com/eJqa9Pj

and also, i've been having another problem where my pc would just beep a lot of times in a row and do nothing when I start it up? If i leave it, it usually tries to restart again in like 5 seconds after the beep then eventually it turns on. Not really sure if it's related or not, but its random as well.
and it crashes a lot more than in the ss, it's just i always hold the power button and turn the pc off before it's finished collecting stuff.

and the SFC scan failed, it got 41% then said "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation."

Colif

Win 11 Master

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Yep 78c while just collecting this report, imagine the temp when gaming and this problem got steadily worse over time, clean, repaste cpu/heatsink for a start

Colif

Win 11 Master
open command prompt with admin rights and run this (spacing is important):

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

if that fails to fix your problem, I would suggest a fresh install of windows 10. You cannot use reset as the dism checks your windows image which the reset would use to rebuild windows 10.

maybe reduce overclock on GPU too as it could be causing the dx errors too.

Unknownforces

Commendable
May 21, 2016
I forgot to mention in my last post that i've used Driver Booster frequently, so all the drivers should be up to date?
I've used that website you suggested to manually download the graphics driver but it should already be up to date anyways.
I've also tried to count it before, but it beeps way too fast for me to be able to. I think it's closer to 5 beeps though. So it is probably a CPU issue.

Also I tried to update avast but it says everything was up to date, which I kinda gathered aswell since I replaced the hard drive recently and had to reinstall everything, so I don't see how it could be so outdated? xD

I'm not sure how to reduce the overclock on my GPU so can you run me through that?

The DISM scan got to 100% then said error: 1392 "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"
The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log ?

Is the fresh install important? Because when I replaced hard drives it didn't fix anything, so i'm not sure if it will fix it :s
Also it's restarted at the login screen to windows before too, so it wouldn't even have had time to overheat if that was the issue, so idk.

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

I don't think a fresh install will fix your particular problem.
Your CPU temp. You will be surprised how quick your CPU will heat up.

I did an experiment and started my i5 without a heat sink. About 5 seconds after starting the computer I touched the CPU and it was hot enough to burn my finger. The CPU gets hot quick.

Based on your logs it seems you are crashing on different events so I tend to think hardware.
You said it has progressively got worse so that helps me think hardware and in particular CPU heat-sink paste. Over time it can dry out (or have been applied poorly) and loose its ability to transfer the temperature correctly.

Looking at other posts no one seems to run that cpu over ~ 70c possibly even down to 62c

Removing the old heat sink paste and cleaning the cpu and its heat-sink (Build up of dust etc) and applying a good fine layer of paste might fix your problem. Its really important that you don't put a thick layer of paste on, as it will reduce the heat transfer.

Hope that helps.

Solution