intel core i5 upgrade support

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hey everyone I've got a bit of a computer dilemma and am hoping to get your thoughts about what I should do.

I built my first custom home computer just over 4 years ago now and have been super happy with it ever since. I built it mainly with the idea of being a very good home computer and a decent gaming computer and it has been super for everything I had thrown at it so far. I'm at a cross roads now though where I find myself throwing more at it then it seems comfortable with a lot of the time and I figure that with how longs its gonna take me to save up any money its probably time for me to start figuring out a plan that I can work towards.

Within the last few months I have began doing a moderate amount of video editing and a sizable amount of picture editing. I backpack a lot and tend to edit a few thousand pictures a month from my trips and such. With this new uptick in video and photo processing I've noticed my computer starting to max out more then usual especially when rendering out videos or Jpegs. I do a lot of time lapse work which requires rendering out a few thousand pictures into Jpeg form and then combining and processing into a sped up video which then also gets rendered out. During this process I find my CPU sticking at the 95-100% mark for the entire process. It doesn't seem to have any problems with heat during that period never reaching much higher then 50c but it does worry me that its maxing out so often now and with plans to further increase my video and photo editing time I do wonder what I should do about it.

So that brings me to computer specs. I'll go ahead and list out whats in the box right now and then mention what thoughts and concerns I have with upgrading.

Case Antec 300 Illusion running 5 case fans ( 4 120s, and 1 140)

Fairly standard GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 Mobo

Intel Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU with a hyper 212 cooler

16gbs of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 9-9-9-24 Ram

250gb SSD
1Tb media Drive
1TB backup Drive

AMD Radeon HD 7870 GPU

650W PSU

Windows 10 with dual 27" monitors

So thats what I'm running right now and I am just not sure what to do about improving performance. I was hoping to avoid having to build an entirely new computer because of money problems but I don't know what else to do. I was looking at current cpu's and was checking in on how much it would cost to build a whole new PC built around an i7-5820k and its looking like 800$ minimum for something decent there between the cost of the cpu and the high price of DDR4 ram. If I moved over to an i5-6600k I would really only need the cpu and mobo and could stay around the 350$ part range which is much more acceptable but when I started looking at bench marks of the 2500k and the 6600k it didn't seem like there was that big of a difference between the 2, at least not a 350$ difference. So like I said at the outset I've got a dilemma at hand. What do you guys think I should do about my situation? is there another alternative I've missed?

G

The fastest and easiest solution would be to buy a used i7-3770K off Ebay and overclock it with the Hyper 212 EVO Cooler. If you have one fan on it maybe you can add another if you have the extra clips. I'm thinking those extra threads and cache would help quite a bit. If you decide to buy the i7-3770K be sure to update the BIOS to the latest version before hand.

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hmm didn't think about grabbing a used cpu. Once I saw that all the lga 1155 chipset cpus are no longer made anymore I figured a new cpu and MoBo would be the smallest amount i could upgrade..... on that note then is the i7-3770k the best I can get that will fit my MoBo and Ram? Is there a xeon out there that would be better for video/photo stuff while still being a decent gaming gpu?

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Been shopping around ebay a little bit. Looks like I could get a used i7-3770k for 270is but I also noticed that I could get a xeon E3-1280v2 or a 1290 v2 for about 320 and 340 new. Curious what you guys think about that

I don't know a ton about the Xeons other then the high end ones are very reliable and most often used is super workstations or servers and what not. From what I can tell these seem to be renamed i7s with a slightly higher but locked base clock speed? Anything else different about them? Any reason to grab on of the Xeons instead?

I'm not gonna lie I kinda like the idea of getting a new CPU rather then a used one especially when the price point isnt that far off. If we were to say that I was never going to overclock the i7 would there be any reason not to buy the Xeon 1290?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-QUAD-CORE-PROCESSOR-E3-1290V2-3-7GHZ-8MB-SMART-CACHE-5GT-S-CPU-SR0PC-/311554095071?hash=item488a1237df:g:MFAAAOSwKtVWze0-

G

The i7-3770k is the absolute best CPU you can get for that board. The only Xeons you could install in that board are based off the older Sandy bridge like your i5 and you can't overclock them. They are also expensive brand new. (The Xeon E3-1280 and 1290 are anyway)

Perhaps you can look for a regular i7-3770, Xeon E3-1245 or Xeon E3-1270. I think those would be your best bet new.

No Xeon V2's or later are supported. See the CPU support list: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3815

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hmm I don't know I'm not in love with any of those options to be honest. 270 is to high to be paying for a used CPU in my opinion and while 215 is a decent price that doesn't look like its gonna be a big enough gain for the money. I'm thinking it might be worth it to just go for new cpu and MoBo and just find a Cpu that will be compatible with the DDR3 I already have. Again as of right now I am just trying to work out a plan.It will most likely be a few months before I have the cash to be able to actually make any purchases.

G

I understand. If your RAM voltage is 1.5v (not 1.65v) you should be able to upgrade to a socket 1150 motherboard and CPU. Just keep in mind if you go with Socket 1151, it requires DDR4 so you won't be able to re-use your RAM.

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I've got 1.5v Ram so thats not an issue thankfully I'm kinda liking the i7-4790k its a little pricey but it looks like the best 1150 socket CPU you can get. Between it having a .7 higher base clock and the fact that it has 4 hyperthreads and a larger Cache it seems like it should be a pretty decent upgrade and the extra cache size and hyperthreading should be a significant boon to the performance of my video and photo editing software.

Anyway thats kinda the direction my brains heading right now but feel free to offer up something different if there are other options out there.

Devils canyon i7-4790K ($330 new) + z97 MB = $400-$420. Reuses everything else in your system. Should be 50% faster than your current CPU for multi-threaded aps. 30% faster if you OC your i5.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K

Last thought. "I've noticed my computer starting to max out more then usual especially when rendering out videos or Jpegs. " Check your temps. If you do not blow the cooler out with compressed air then you could be running hot enough to throttle. (Aside: I do video transcoding on my i5-4690K at 4.2 ghz, and it still takes a while at 100% cpu doing 100+fps)

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I appreciate the feedback there tsnor. You couldn't find any mention of an OC because I didn't mention it so thats my bad. I'm not currently running without any OC but thats just because my BIOS settings got reset and I haven't bothered to fiddle with it again. Even so I never really felt much of a benefit to OC'ing with this setup, I could never really get past 3.8ish and still be rock solid stable and I never really saw that huge of a difference with that. But thats just me and admittedly I don't know a ton about Overclocking either.

The Cpu is the one I was just looking at, its seeming more and more like a good choice but I'm still looking.

As far as heat goes I monitor my heat pretty often especially if I think i'm pushing my CPU so that was never the issue and I clean out my tower frequently as well.

i5-2500 / 3.3 GHz is base with Max Turbo Frequency =3.7 GHz

Not getting past 3.8 happens. My pentium aniversary stops at 4ghz.

The i7-2600 base is 3.4, turbo 3.8. Hyperthreading on that CPU should buy you another 20% over the i5. Going to i7-2600K seems $$$ for not much gain. Scroll down and check the benchmarks here (skip the ratings) http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K

For me I'd pass on the i7-2600K used. GL with what works for you.

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I don't remember mentioning the 2600. Definitely seems like to much money for to little gain. For me I think if im going to go to the trouble of swapping it out and spending a fair chunk of money in the first place its worth it to drop a little more cash for a better return. Thats kinda why I'm looking at the i7-4790k but like I said still looking around for better solutions.