Really newbie question

seagatedoge

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
I have a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor. I am looking at a 1920x1080 monitor that is also 24 inch. If both monitors are the same size but the 1080 has less pixels, will I see stretching or blurriness? I would have thought the monitor would have to be smaller in size to retain the same quality of image.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution

No not unless gaming or doing some other type of multimedia activity that utilizes a combined resolution. When windows extends displays, each display retains its resolution. You wouldn't stretch a window across both displays.

Its like having two desktops, essentially. Move and drag windows across, windows does the resize handling. Windows on the 16:9 (1920x1080) will look a tad different then the 16:10 (1920x1200) panel, but not deformed or stretched. Just...

spagalicious

Distinguished
If you plan to use the panels for non gaming functions (web browsing/office/multimedia), extending windows to both panels will not stretch or blur the image. Each display will retain its native resolution, provided you have them selected in windows display options.

So if you are not planning on multidisplay gaming, you are good to go.

seagatedoge

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Sorry, I don't think I wrote my question clearly.
Speaking in single monitors (not trying to use both together), how does the difference in 1200 and 1080 translate when both monitors are the same physical size? Wouldn't the 1080 monitor have to stretch its image a bit?

spagalicious

Distinguished

No not unless gaming or doing some other type of multimedia activity that utilizes a combined resolution. When windows extends displays, each display retains its resolution. You wouldn't stretch a window across both displays.

Its like having two desktops, essentially. Move and drag windows across, windows does the resize handling. Windows on the 16:9 (1920x1080) will look a tad different then the 16:10 (1920x1200) panel, but not deformed or stretched. Just resized according to each displays native resolution.

Try it out, you'll see!

Solution