Disabled prefetch, files still created in the prefetch folder

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Hello guys, as title says I would like to know why I am still getting new created files in the prefetch folder after disabling that function. Is that normal? Thanks in advance for help

Solution
No it's not automatically disabled with SSD but some programs that come from manufacturers have that option.
Forget about registry, go to Computer Management > Services and applications > Services and disable Superfetch.

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

i simply cannot find it in regedit, I read that it should be automatically disabled if you have an ssd. This is the best way to show you what I modified in regedit, with a screnshot
1iZCVDj.png

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Is it listed under S with the name Superfetch? Cause I can't find it there

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Yes it is that one then, thank you very much for help, i've disabled and stopped it from running, now i just have to test if windows will create new files again. What should I do with the prefetch folder now? Could you check the other thread too if you have time please?

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Alright then I'll check the folder in 2 days to check if it created some new things but I doubt at this point, should I deleted everything except layout.ini right?
The other thread is this : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3069174/moving-folders-appdata.html

Anyways I would like to give my gratitude since you were the only person that pointed to this solution in 2 months

Yeah, you can leave that one alone, it's not big one anyway.
As for the other one in appdata, I can't be sure but you can delete them from default location to Recycle bin and if Steam balks you can just restore them. They are not system folders and files so can't be moved in usual way.

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Damn I tought there was some command like the one I used to move the chrome cache: --user-data-dir="D:\Cache\Chrome
Anyways I just checked the prefetch folder and I noticed that there is still one file that is being created after disabling superfetch. I'ts called ReadyBoot.etl and it is inside a folder called ReadyBoot. Any idea on this?

Here's one explanation for Ready Boot:
On systems with more than 700MB of RAM, ReadyBoot uses data from 5 previous boots to create a plan for a boot-time memory cache. Similar to Windows XP prefetcher, it will try to preload files into RAM before they are needed. All memory used by ReadyBoot is automatically released 90 seconds after booting up, or immediately if another service needs it, so it doesn't have negative performance consequences.

In other words, on an SSD system, ReadyBoot may not improve boot times by a lot, but it will utilize your fast RAM for what it's good for: serving as a fast cache for the disk. And even the fastest SDDs are still slower than RAM memory - disabling it would still make your booting slightly slower

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

ALright thanks for posting this useful info! What do you suggest doing in this case?

If you have HDD it's a good thing, if you care about faster BOOT that is. Also if you are not short on space.
It looks like it does something for SSD too, I keep that and superfetch on but not shutting this PC off much, it's mostly on 24/7.
Whole folder is 1.5MB.

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Well I do boot it up about once or twice per day, not sure if that's important to keep enabled/disabled. Just in case what should I do to stop that process?
Anyways I just picked your answer as the solution to my problem, hope that will help other people too