Laptop went Super-Dim upon Low-Battery Warning, hasn't restored

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
My HP G60-230US laptop display automatically went super-dim after an ultra low battery warning. I then charged it using my power inverter in my car and kept it alive that day but it continued to be super-dim.

Now it's been several days. Still super-dim.

-Much dimmer than lowest brightness setting
-Fully charged. Battery healthy.
-Restarted a bunch of times
-Tried external monitor
-Tried removing battery and depleting "bios battery"

Only sign of hope_
-Holding power button down for 2 seconds, brings brightness back for 1-2 seconds.

The battery life is healthy, it's fully charged and maintains charge

Dawid_R25

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
What operating system are you using?

If it's Windows 10, theirs a small dialogue box with some lines inside of it on your taskbar on the right side, click on it and see if you can put the brightness up.

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

64 bit vista

Dawid_R25

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Try this:

Open Power Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

Move the slider next to Screen brightness at the bottom of the screen. The brightness changes automatically.

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

It's already on max brightness.

It's not that.

I think it's some security flag that went off when it was low battery that made the screen super duper dim, again dimmer than the lowest brightness setting in power options.

And then it never went back to normal brightness. Maybe I will just reinstall windows or do a restore point