I want to start learning about cars

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Hi,

This may seem like a weird question but i want to start learning everything about cars and engine type stuff. My friends always talk about cars what types of engines they have and how they can make them faster and what not. The thing is i don't know where to start i looked at some video's on youtube about it and im starting to love and have a huge interest in them but i really want to know EVERYTHING about vehicles to a point. if i can get some advice on how i can do this without going to school for it lol that would be great thanks

- joe

Solution
Having a strong interest in the subject matter means you've already taken a great positive step toward learning about cars. However, while I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, we usually deal more with computer and electronic questions.

If you have particular car interests, often times there are enthusiast messaging sites for brands, or even specific model cars, that are easily found through Google searches. Reading through the posts for a while, or lurking, may help you get a better feel for particular car forums.

I know from my own experience, much of what I learned about cars came from the practical experience of having to keep a severe service vehicle on the road 7 days a week. As things would break, I looked up...
Having a strong interest in the subject matter means you've already taken a great positive step toward learning about cars. However, while I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, we usually deal more with computer and electronic questions.

If you have particular car interests, often times there are enthusiast messaging sites for brands, or even specific model cars, that are easily found through Google searches. Reading through the posts for a while, or lurking, may help you get a better feel for particular car forums.

I know from my own experience, much of what I learned about cars came from the practical experience of having to keep a severe service vehicle on the road 7 days a week. As things would break, I looked up online what my symptoms were and then what the general solutions were, and worked my way through it.

By the time I actually was in the market to take some college level automotive courses, unfortunately I learned that the offerings in my area were either all or nothing. I couldn't just take some courses, it was either full ASE certification course, or nothing.

Google is your friend here. There's a plethora of good car links to be found online. http://www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/intro.htm

Solution
also with todays email server most eng that work for car comp have online emails. you can look up online people that build cars and engines. and then email them to see if there any tech info they can send you. if your close to nascar race get a pit pass and talk to the shop monkyies.

I started learning about cars after I spun a bearing in my 90's Honda, and decided to fix it myself. At that point, I didn't even know how to change my own oil. Fast forward 5 years and there isn't something in any of my cars I can't fix, though I sometimes still take it to a shop if there's something I don't want to deal with.

SuperGMC

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
There is too much information on the subject matter to even find a starting spot for explaining anything. My advice would be to head over to a forum like [urlExt=hotrodders.com]Hotrodders[/urlExt] and just browse. You will learn an incredible amount of anything you would ever want to know about cars in a short amount of time.