Weird Internet Problem With Windows 10

Reckerbroski

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Hey guys so basically when I upgraded to windows 10 every was fine for about a hour or so after I'd installed my motherboard drivers which I got from the Gigabyte website my board is z97x Gaming 5 and I made sure to pick windows 10 64 bit.

The problem I'm having is for some weird reason on my virgin media superhub my 2.4ghz light just goes off and my computer loses complete access to the internet but my phone and my parents tablets can connect to the hub just fine. I format and switch back to windows 7 and the problem is fixed.

I really don't understand this problem could there be a driver problem with me Ethernet or something?

Please help if anyone has had this problem seems really weird!

newbcakes

Honorable
May 21, 2012
You've upgraded from Windows 7 -> Windows 10.

You were able to connect prior to the upgrade?

Are you installing your "motherboard drivers" for any specific reason? Did your upgraded Windows 10 system connect prior to installation of the motherboard drivers?

Have you confirmed you a) still have a network adapter listed in your system device inventory and b) you have an IP address leased from your superhub?

Reckerbroski

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
I did upgrade from windows 7 too 10 but I changed it back a while ago. This time it was a fresh windows 10 install

When im on windows 7 I don't have any problem connecting to the internet the hub is perfectly fine with windows 10 I just lose connection

And no I didn't think to check that! When windows 10 is installed I already have internet access maybe installing my BigFoot LAN driver may have caused a interference maybe?

newbcakes

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I'm gathering you've currently got a fresh Win 10 installation?

IMHO, if your network adapter works with generic drivers provided by MS, I wouldn't mess with it unless you really want to tweak a setting or you have dual NICs and want to team or VLAN or something.

If you do need the "vendor specific driver" it sounds like you'll want to do a little more research and focus directly on the one driver rather than allowing a motherboard driver utility blanket install a bunch of stuff. I would do them one at a time so it's easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. Also, don't forget about the system and application log... sometimes good info in there.

Reckerbroski

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Yeah I have a feeling its this BigFoot LAN driver is what its called I have a feeling its that program that comes with the motherboard disc! Must be interfering with it I'm guessing.

When I install windows 7 it doesn't auto pickup that i have internet access where as windows 10 does so guess i should just ignore that driver!

newbcakes

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I would guess both Windows 7 and Windows 10 install generic drivers for your ethernet adapter(s), wireless and/or RJ45. Windows 10 takes the extra step of presenting you, upfront, with an opportunity to connect to whatever network it detects. If it works without additional drivers (BigFoot LAN), unless you really need to tweak it, I wouldn't allow BigFoot to stomp on it.

That was a really bad joke, I'll see myself out.