Mouse or Trackball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
can i use a trackball for gaming ? once passed the learning curve, will i be able to play FPS/RTS games ? also considering buying a trackball because i game from my couch and its quite awckward having the keyboard on my lap, but mostly having the mouse on the arm of the couch lol.

Solution
keep in mind that you want the proper angle for keyboarding... and the keyboard with a mouse pad space is not going to be efficient for gaming at all. that is more for couch web surfing.

an adjustable table with angle and height adjustment would be ideal. i know they make some good products on the market to do this.

i'm thinking you may be better off with a normal mouse - unless you do not mind being absolutely dreadful at everything for quite awhile until your brain and hands figure out how to use the trackball without you consciously thinking about it.

you could always use something like this if you did not go with a roll up table. if you use a recliner, you can use one of the solid board styles...

WildCard999

Titan
Since your gaming on the couch the trackball will probably be better to use. For FPS gaming another option could be a Xbox/gaming controller. I used to use a trackball quite awhile ago when I played COH (MMO) and it worked fine, took a bit of time to get used to it.

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

already use an xbox one controller and i love that laid back, console experience it gives me, but I've been pc gaming all my life and refuse to use a joystick for online shooters lol. i will only tolerate it in single player mode lol :p so having said that, is it common for players to use trackball for FPS ?

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

pretty cool i must say! especially that couch master haha. would probably go the board route if i had to choose between those 2 options though lol. or maybe i should swing by ikea and look for a little table i can use with my small single seat couch!

can you use a trackball? sure. its even possible to be competitive if you practice quite a bit. a trackball is capable of fast and accurate movement just like any other mouse but given the difference in usage requires much practice to get familiar with it. generally people that go the trackball route are those with RSI or CT though.

since you are likely used to a regular mouse i would suggest using a little pull up table with a mouse and keyboard. wireless are fine but be aware of maximum ranges and that they may have slight delay. i prefer RF over BT and my last board and mouse (mx1000 kit.. but that was from 2004-2010) did not really have any lag and great range (60 feet!) though most newer products that are BT are only about 6-10 foot range and some may have delay (i dont seem to notice any on my logitech wireless mice though).

a controller is the easiest and best laid back device though. sure you give up some accuracy with the analog stick over a mouse however you can lay back and relax much easier with a controller and for certain titles it really is great (dark souls for instance).

i generally game on a desk with a tv (photos in sig if you care) and keep a mouse and keyboard, keypad gamepad and controller all around as depending on the title certain variations work better than others. i use whatever i feel the most comfortable with in the given game.

WildCard999

Titan

Two friends of mine use controllers in BF4 but I guess its more comfortable for them, me i'm all keyboard/mouse. It's probably uncommon for most ppl to use a trackball unless there in a similar situation. I'm sure if you use a trackball enough you can get quite efficient and have no issues playing against other players. Besides a board from ikea the SOVA wireless keyboard with space for the mouse is pretty cool, sadly its not released yet.

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

thank you for your detailed answer :) of course the relaxed controller set up is really convenient, but will still most likely test out some boards for my setup or play around with a trackball too because..... Overwatch hahaha any recommendations for trackballs ?

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

i am with you on that! kb/m all the way. like i said in previous comment, i can do gamepad in single player games, including shooters no problem. But for competing online ? kb/m definetely!

keep in mind that you want the proper angle for keyboarding... and the keyboard with a mouse pad space is not going to be efficient for gaming at all. that is more for couch web surfing.

an adjustable table with angle and height adjustment would be ideal. i know they make some good products on the market to do this.

i'm thinking you may be better off with a normal mouse - unless you do not mind being absolutely dreadful at everything for quite awhile until your brain and hands figure out how to use the trackball without you consciously thinking about it.

you could always use something like this if you did not go with a roll up table. if you use a recliner, you can use one of the solid board styles
http://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2013/07/17/50235-nerdytech.jpg

Solution

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

thank you ssd for the responses and suggestions! i will look into that couch master thing as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.