Windows 10 Updated - Now boot up to black screen with blinking cursor; "drive is locked" errors.

Viperions

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Hello! Really hoping that you wonderful folk can give me a hand here, because I am completely at a loss and it's starting to get a bit ridiculous. The title sums up the core of what happened; I wandered away from computer for a little bit, came back to find it auto installing an update, waited for it to do its thing, it finished, it started rebooting ... And then froze on froze during startup. Gave it a couple of hours to unfreeze, then had to force restart. Which leaves me at the current spot: A black screen with blinking cursor ("_", not mouse).

SPECS:
CPU: Intel core i7-4770K (3.5ghz)
RAM: 16 Gigs DDR3 SDRAM (Kingston Beast Series)
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Formula
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC
Hard drive with OS is a 250gb Samsung 840 Evo series.

I've been trying to chip away at it for awhile, so here's what I've done so far (https://imgur.com/a/uKiTk has some literal screenshots of relevant screens):

• - Boot Order Checked boot order. Still going DVD drive (empty) -> SSD with Windows on it. So doesn't look like its booting to wrong drive.
    - Created a Windows 10 Media Creation tool:]
From there:

• System Restore option errors: ("To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore")

System Image Recovery errors: "Windows cannot find a system image in this computer..."

Startup Repair doesn't error, but just restarts computer and places it back into blinking cursor black screen.

Reset This PC errors: "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and drive again."
CMD Line: This seems to be the only option that actually works, so I've experimented mainly within there.

• Ran "chkdsk C: /f" - Drive is identified as NTFS. 0 bad file records. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. Drive accurately shows the space used/free that I recall; does say "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with Status 50."

Ran Diskpart. Star up drive is listed as Disk 1. Not sure if this is problematic. Checked Disk Attributes - all options are no (so drive is not read only. Drive has three partitions, Partition 1 (Type, Primary - 350 mb.) Partition 2 (Type, Primary - 232 GB). Partition 3 (Type, Recovery, 450mb). Disk 1 Partition 1 is the Active drive.

Attempted to "create partition efi" as suggested by another source. "MSR and EFI partitions are only supported on GPT disks. Convert the selected disk to GPT and try again."

Checked Volume information. All attributres are listed as "no".

Ran bootrec. Bootrec /fixmbr "The operation successfully completed". Bootrec /fixboot "The operation successfully completed". Bootrec /RebuildBCD identifies 1 windows installation; G: (the USB stick with the Media Creation Tool). If I add installation to boot list (Y), "The requested system device cannot be found". After this, the USB stick has to be wiped and the media creation tool replaced, because I get a "EFI\microsoft\boot\bcd error code 0xc000000f" code.

Ran sfc /scannow - verification 100% complete, "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".

If I run the "Install Now" part of Media Creation Tool instead of the "Repair My Computer", I am similarly obstructed:

• Upgrade Now: "The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade."

Custom: Every single drive and partition has a warning flag attached to it of: "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks."

Honestly, hoping you folk can help out because I'm kind of at a loss here. I generally hate having to bother other folk, but all the information I've dug up so far has led me no-where .. So, hey, assistance is appreciated! Thanks!

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
You have tried everything I can think of so...
Download Linux Mint and burn to a DVD and boot from it. From Linux Mint 1st try to access your Windows partition and if you can than copy any files you don't want to lose to a USB drive/thumb drive and run GParted and delete the partitions on the drive than reboot with the Windows 10 installer and reinstall Windows 10.

Viperions

Commendable
May 23, 2016

At this point I've got a WD-Black hard drive coming on the way. Figuring worst case scenario (probably take a week to get here, lets say) I'll just copy files there and reinstall the drive. Just going to be a pain, and would like to try to avoid it as much as possible.