User experience appreciated, anyone moved from a 24" 4K to a 27" 4K .... Your thoughts?

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I didn't want a massive screen, but thought of going with 2 screens for editing i.e. One in Portrait and one in Landscape. Due to contraints of only having one DP 1.2 connector on my GTX 970, I thought of going to the 27" 4K - so the portrait images would be physically bigger ( saves expanding an image to check the eyes in say a full length portrait. ) I Wouldn't bother normally, but as this range has just bought out a 27" with a faster refresh rate thats slightly attractive. Plus a friend is happy to buy the 24" one for decent money, so very viable finacially ( rather than upgrade the GPU and buy another 24". Ref the user experience I Really love retina screen type of image at 3840 x 2160, naturally at 24"s its DPI is superb - when one moves to 27" with a lower dpi, is it still lovely?

Solution
No, but I get to use a lot of monitors if that counts.

27" 4k is ridiculously stupid. You have to rely on DPI scaling, which is buggy, and if you don't, ready your magnifying glass if you have one laying around.

Just to give you an idea of your misinformed term "retina". A 27" 4k monitor turns into a "retina", at just under 2 feet away from it, based on a visual actuity of 20/20 6/6. This means that retina can be calculated accurately at any resolution, and any screen size. A higher resolution doesn't necessarily have to mean it's retina. Besides, retina is Apple's marketing term, it's not being used by other brands.

For photo editing, a higher resolution is absolutely pointless. If you need to see more detail, then zoom in.

I...
No, but I get to use a lot of monitors if that counts.

27" 4k is ridiculously stupid. You have to rely on DPI scaling, which is buggy, and if you don't, ready your magnifying glass if you have one laying around.

Just to give you an idea of your misinformed term "retina". A 27" 4k monitor turns into a "retina", at just under 2 feet away from it, based on a visual actuity of 20/20 6/6. This means that retina can be calculated accurately at any resolution, and any screen size. A higher resolution doesn't necessarily have to mean it's retina. Besides, retina is Apple's marketing term, it's not being used by other brands.

For photo editing, a higher resolution is absolutely pointless. If you need to see more detail, then zoom in.

I highly recommend a 27" 1440p monitor however, mainly because yes it's still bad as far as DPI is concerned, but you'll have to rely less on DPI scaling.

That's my quick feelings on this matter.

All the best!

Solution

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hi
Thanks but I am really confused my 24" 4K has a native screen resolution of 3840 x 2160. At 60 Hz The 27" is the same just has a faster refresh rate.

So what scaling are you referring to.?

If ai rotate it the 24" for me is perfect no constant zooming in and out, but in Landscape its just a tad too short. Hence my thoughts of going 27" to avoid zooming in.

My only concern was by making the footprint physically bigger, would it loose that "retina screen LOOK not specs" ?