Persistent BSOD errors on fresh windows 10 install

Icebung

Commendable
May 23, 2016
I built a new computer in January. I installed Windows 10 professional 64 bit on it, and it has pretty high-end components (link to parts list below). About a month ago I started getting a few occasional BSOD errors, with no clear cause, but it was infrequent and never impacted my use. Last week the frequency increased all of a sudden and my computer was restarting every couple of minutes with a different error.

kmode exception not handled
windows shell common dll has stopped working
page fault in nonpaged area
kernel security check failure
attempted execute of no execute memory

It got to the point where I couldn't even finish booting into windows, so I tried to do a system restore to a few days before but i got a BSOD in the midst of that. Then I tried to reset windows 10 and I got a BSOD in the middle of that. Finally I decided to nuke the whole thing, so I popped in my windows 10 dvd, formatted my hard drives, and tried a fresh install. During installation and during start-up I continued to get BSOD errors, with no drivers or software installed other than windows. This one was consistent, "System service exception" but was still happening within a few minutes of loading into windows.

At this point I have to assume that it is a hardware issue. I tried taking out my video card and running off of the onboard graphics, but that didn't help. It did add two different errors, "system thread exception not handled" and "bad pool header". I have run the windows memory test, "mdsched.exe" and during the test it appears normal but it says the results will be shown on screen when I log back in and I haven't seen them yet. I'm not sure what else to look at, do you guys have any thoughts?

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bsPZL

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running http://www.memtest86.com/ on your ram
try updating your bios
which ssd is your boot? I assume the samsung?
The only way to test Samsung SSD is using Samsung Magician
Here is the Sandisk tool: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9328/~/ssd-toolkit-support-information

all the errors are data related but they are also driver related, so some of the older ones could have been drivers

go here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
do steps 1 to 6 of option 1: Configure Dump File Settings in Start-up and Recovery
and then Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

this will create a file in c/windows/minidump. Copy that file into your documents and then upload the copy to a cloud server and share the links here. Someone who can read the dumps will analyse the problem for you.

Can you also download and run this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will look at error logs and give us a summary. It may tell us what driver caused problem

copy/paste its results in here.

Icebung

Commendable
May 23, 2016

I tried (almost) all of the steps above. Memtest86 ran for 5 hours and had no errors. I successfully updated my bios to the latest stable bios but if anything that exacerbated the problem, can't boot into windows once again. I could't download samsung magician (but i'll revisit that if you think it could be the problem). My Sandisk SSD checked out A-ok. I've put the minidump logs and the whocrashed report in a google drive folder, link below.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B49QlKP8LGO8eUFHbjBqWHVqZTA&usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not normal to get bsod during installation of windows, that is why i looked at hardware as there shouldn't be any drivers apart from generic ones win 10 uses just to be able to do the install.

Most of the errors were blaming ntoskrnl which is the New Technology Operating System Kernal - its job among other things is to deal with hardware and drivers so it gets lots of blame. Windows won't work without it. NTFS was also mentioned,. its the File system so I am looking at things that use data.

Memory seems to be off list, i think you need to see if you can install to another hdd to see if the cause is the evo. As I have one I like to think they are perfect but nothing really is.

Are you overclocked?

is your inability to boot a windows thing or an m.2 thing as i know some boards struggle to even see them without changes to bios.. i didn't notice you had m.2 until now. I am not saying its anything to do with bsod, its just now you changed bios it could be a reason.

Icebung

Commendable
May 23, 2016

I agree that I think it has to be hardware, because I'm working off essentially a blank slate, even before initial windows updates I'm getting roasted by errors.

To clarify, I originally installed windows on the samsung 950 pro m.2 drive in December, it worked without error for about 5 months. I was using the sandisk as a storage drive. For troubleshooting purposes I installed windows on the sandisk and am having the same issues. I suppose I could remove the m.2 and see if the errors persist, but I think we've essentially ruled that out. Unless it could cause those errors even without being used. The only issue I had with the M.2 on original install was finding the right combination of m.2 slots/sata ports, but that won't have changed.

I took out the video card and am using onboard graphics, so I'm pretty sure the graphics card is fine.

I'm not overclocked, but I do have the ram running on an xmp profile, that said, ram is almost certainly not the issue.

That leaves the processor and motherboard... is there any diagnostics to do on these or am I in a position where i have to get some cheap ones and test them out? I don't particularly want to rebuild the entire computer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would get a 2nd opinion at this stage, motherboard and CPU are two hardest parts to test without spares. Its more likely to be the motherboard than the CPU. If it were me I would take it to a repair shop at this stage as they will have the spares you are lacking. Better than getting new parts and still having the problem.

The errors aren't typical ram ones, you didn't get Memory Management errors.

Don't do anything yet, someone who can read your mini dump files might have a better idea than I do and narrow down cause.

Icebung

Commendable
May 23, 2016

Do you know anyone on the forum who does who you could direct to this thread? By the way thanks for your help, I'd be feeling a lot more lost without the help you've given me.