Is getting an A+ comptia cert worth it?

Kankleator

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Hey guys, i'm a fresh out of high school graduate. I'm planning on going to college and majoring in something inovling computer technology. Maybe Computer Science or Computer Engineering. The thing is, i'm looking to get an entry level computer-tech involved job to earn some money while i'm going to school. Plus job experience never hurts. Is getting a Comptia A+ Certification worth it? I only have customer service experience from working at retail and grocery stores. So I don't really know where to start with the IT career field.

I know I love to work with computers. Build, fix , whatever. Pretty much anything with computers, I like doing it. Probably because I've grown up playing video games. I just don't really know what I should pursue. I don't really know anyone in real life that's IN the IT crowd. Just need general advice on whats a good idea to get into. I've built a few gaming pc's. Solved tons of random problems that I've been encountered while gaming, hosting servers, managing my ports / networking. I think I have a good base of skills at least for an entry level Tech job.

Go ahead and get the A+ certification, employers love to gobble those up when stocking their IT Departments. You can probably get an interview for entry level just with a good resume explaining your abilities, but the A+ will get you more money.

Kankleator

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

I see. The thing is, I know a lot of the basics with computers. At least they're considered the basics from the eyes of an IT person. My friends and family who know nothing about computers think i'm some sort of pc god, when really I know the very basics. One thing I was worried about is; I have no idea how to remove a virus from a computer that so messed up it wont even get to the boot menu. I could probably wipe the drive and put on a fresh install of windows, but I have no idea how to retrieve data from a hard drive that is basically screwed. However, I know I can learn all of these things on the job very easily. Almost every tech problem can be solved through google. I'm just not sure if an employer would take a chance on me as a younger person without some sort of certification.