Photoshop Elements 13 issue with Windows 10 and or 4K screen problem.

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I love the 4K Monitor for editing, its a dream , but I hit an issue last night. I was using the Distort / Liquify tool; and although the mouse went exactly where I wanted it to, the shrink and expand functions didnt work properly.
By that I mean, if one wanted to shrink an item and set the usual size of brush, it was as though it wasnt responding properly. Instead of say expanding in a uniform way it was as though only a small effect was created. To rectify this I had to get the centre much closer to the line I wanted to change, and the effect was less than on the Laptop.
So I thought I would go and adjust it - brush sensitvity and pressure sensitivity. Ooops discovered these control boxes were greyed out?

Thinking I had an installation propblem, I decided to try the old Laptop. So I hopped over to the 1920x 1080p laptop, and then I discovered they were also greyed out. This machine was also upgraded to Windows 10 Home.

Q1. Does Elements 13 support Win 10 ? But with the same size brush, on the Laptop it shrunk and expanded perfectly on the default setting. So it looks like 2 issues 1. It appears PSE 13 isn't working properly on Windows 10.

Q2. Could this be a Monitor/GPU/Monitor issue - in 4K . Due to refresh rates etc. This monitors native setting is 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz. HP Z24s IPS UHD 4K
It says it has a "Response" time of 14ms grey to grey ( what is that?) surely it refreshes every 1/60th of a sec?
I was considering upgrading to the newer 27" version in this lineup and that has a Response time of 6ms grey to grey.
Could this response time be the issue?, or is it a GPU limitation? The GPU is MSI GTX 970 4GB RAM Gaming G4. So I Assume that is more than up to driving this monitor?

Q 3 Does anyone have PSE 13 and Windows 10? If so, Could you see if the brush pressure box is greyed out.
NB I am really not very au fait with this sw.

Q4. Could the difference in reaction of the "click" on the shrink/expand feature be due to the monitor/GPU sopport of the monitor/ or the Respnse time of the monitor.

Any help appreciated.

Oh well my first negative regarding the 4K screeen / setup. But not the end of the world as everything else seems perfect.

Q5. Am I right in that there is NO Support for PS Elements, just a user forum, that is hardly ever updated and only run by users?
If there is a support email address or link please let me know

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Thanks so much - will look tonight

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

OK I was initially confused by the term DPI scaling.
I first checked the 1920 x1080 laptop, it works fine other than the brush and stylus pressure adjustment brush is greyed out but set on 1. No real issue as you would not want more. (,and to be honest may have been like that on Win 7 )
Then I went over to the New 4K workstation, and got real depressed trying to control the mouse, yes it pointed where you wanted, but say you puckered something ... Instead of shrinking uniformly over the diameter of the circle ( brush size) it was actually sucking in the pixels at the middle rapidly but hardly effecting the outer edge. Focusing the centre near the line you wanted to pull also does not work as it doesnt pull uniformly!

So I did exactly what you said and noticed this had recommended 200%, but I had earlier assumed it was just for text and had set it at 175% .
I put it at 100% and restarted the workstation.
All the writing went very small - things like the box one gets for "open in camera raw" were tiny; but I figured out how to resize it, and thank God it remembered my setting.
And then guess what same thing with the box with the Liquified image, resized it and
BINGO WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!
Mouse behaves perfectly
But then I went back into outlook and tiny writing!
So whos fault is this!!
All applications work perfectly at 150 to 200% but PSE 13,1 is unusable! It has to be at 100%!!!
Changing this to 100% also makes the user interface look more modern.

SOMWHAT THE HELL DO I DO, its essential for PSE to work perfectly, and that means all the other applicatins have tiny writing.I need 4K to get the most out of this new cameras 50MPS Sensor!

I am not technical but its as though the software is not written to work on a 4K screen!!
Is this resolved in PSE 14 or Photoshop CS or CC or what ever its called!

So thank you for totally soving my problem but just created another huge one, re the suitability of the software or my whole very expensive 4K based system :(:(

Any ideas ?