Plug HDMI cable from GPU to HDTV, PC recognizes it, but the TV still says "No Signal!"

brandong1394

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
This is my GPU:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Clocked-Graphic-06G-P4-4995-KR/dp/B00YDAYOK0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464101338&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+980+ti

This is my MOBO:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Micro-Motherboard-B85M-G-R2-0/dp/B00KO6F8YI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

This is my CPU:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80646I74790K-i7-4790K-Processor-Cache/dp/B00KPRWAX8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

This is my problem:
So I've connected multiple HDMI cables from my GPU to my TV. My computer recognizes it, but there still is no display on the TV. I've tried connecting it from my MOBO to the TV, but for some reason, the computer doesn't recognize it when I connect it to the MOBO.

Here's what I've tried:
1) Updated my graphics drivers. Clean install.

2) Different cables.

3) Tried on laptop HDMI (This WORKS. So it's not the TV. It's something with my computer. It displays flawlessly with the laptop.)

4) Tried messing with the resolution settings when the TV was recognized. (Right-click desktop >> Change Resolution)

5) Tried the 'Start Menu key + P' to set it to projector only. Nothing.

6) Different HDMI ports on TV. Nothing.

At one point, for no reason at all, it did display. But this was for about 10 seconds, then the TV went back to saying "No Signal!". I have no idea why because it was working then shortly after it just stopped. This was completely random too.

Please help. I didn't think an HDMI issue would be so complicated.

Solution

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Ok, first of all, you'll never get HDMI working from the motherboard when there's a video card installed. That's just the way it is, the internal graphics adapter gets disabled when a dedicated graphics card is installed. There are some exceptions, but mostly that's the way it works.

Regarding the TV, have you used the card's HDMI output on any other TV or monitor? There's not a lot of science into this, it should work fine without much setup. I don't think it's software related.

brandong1394

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015

The only other thing I've tried is a laptop. And the laptop works fine with the TV through HDMI. Which is strange.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

But that doesn't discard the HDMI output of the video card as defective. That proves however, that the problem is not from the TV or the HDMI cable side. If you could test it with another monitor or TV, you'd know if it does work. Then we could take another approach depending on that.

brandong1394

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015

So I just unplugged the GPU display port cable to my monitor and tried plugging the HDMI from the GPU to the monitor. Nothing. So I guess the only thing to say is that the HDMI port is busted? It's weird. This GPU is like 3 months old and never used the HDMI port.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

It has happened to me before, manufacturers are getting cheap on the connector's quality. If you did get an image at some point, it might be a lose pin. You could get a DVI to HDMI adapter, but if possible, RMA the card instead.

Solution

brandong1394

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015

Ugh lol that would mean sending the card in and being without a GPU for a while then, right?

I just looked at the adapter. It's a solution, but I can just use my laptop. I just wanted to watch movies anyway. Sucks because I wanted to use my computers sound system. Oh NVIDIA, how you have wronged me.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

Well, just to be sure you could remove the video card and then test with only the motherboard's HDMI output. If it works, then you'll be able to use the sound from the computer while you RMA the card. And in this case, it's nothing wrong with NVIDIA, this kind of problems are the manufacturer's fault (EVGA). But that doesn't mean they are a bad brand, I have purchased 5 cards from them and 4 PSU's and none have failed yet. But the connector problem has happened to me before with other brands.