1ms BenQ Vs 4ms Asus

CalvinHaire

Commendable
May 14, 2016
With nvidia releasing the new gtx1080 i feel its time to update my build. But i can't decide on which monitor i should get, I plan to use it strictly for gaming (Competitive CSGO).

Panel (TN/IPS),price and PC performance should not be taken into consideration, I have spent a considerable amount of time in researching and have narrowed it down to:

BenQ: XL2730Z 2560x1440, 144Hz and a 1ms response time

Or

Asus PG279Q: 2560x1440, 165Hz and a 4ms response time

I am aware that there is not a significant difference between 165Hz and 144Hz but i am not to sure if i will there is a difference in 1ms and 4ms. As i have said i will be using this strictly for CSGO so should i compromise the response time or refresh rate?

So, which one do you think is better, or at least better for me? Thanks to everyone who helps me make the decision! I am open to suggestions as well.

Solution
First off advertised response times are pure BS.

PG279Q has an average response time of 5.0 (high of 6.5)
XL2730Z has an average response time of 3.4 (high of 7.4)

A more important issue is Lag

Asus PG279Q has a lag of 3.25
Ben Q XL2730Z has a lag of 4.00
XB270HU has a lag of 3.00

lag.jpg

There is a very significant difference between 144 and 165 Hz panels in that when using 165Hz panels, it corresponds to having a 120 Hz option when using ULMB.

The latest model to arrive on the scene is the Acer XB271HU which is a "new and improved 165 Hz version of the XB270HU ... well worth considering.

First off advertised response times are pure BS.

PG279Q has an average response time of 5.0 (high of 6.5)
XL2730Z has an average response time of 3.4 (high of 7.4)

A more important issue is Lag

Asus PG279Q has a lag of 3.25
Ben Q XL2730Z has a lag of 4.00
XB270HU has a lag of 3.00

lag.jpg

There is a very significant difference between 144 and 165 Hz panels in that when using 165Hz panels, it corresponds to having a 120 Hz option when using ULMB.

The latest model to arrive on the scene is the Acer XB271HU which is a "new and improved 165 Hz version of the XB270HU ... well worth considering.

Solution

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

^+1 to this!
even if you could count on the advertised response time, which ofc you cant, then that has nothing to do with input lag which matters, response time is more in regard to ghosting, which is more a visual effect and almost nill nowadays, and much less important than input lag, specially for competitive CSGO

CalvinHaire

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Hi many thanks for taking the time to respond, given my circumstances could you suggest a high refresh rate monitor with low input lag that would work well for games such as CSGO :)
Also could you tell me the site you have received the data for input lag of the monitors so i can try and find the best solution?

Yes and no to that.

It's true that response times are related to ghosting, however. My projector displays my desktop, but at 60 Hz, there's some very noticeable blur when moving windows around. That's because the refresh rate is too low, my eyes can't keep up. If you add more frames, or updates for the lack of a better word, I would get rid of that blur. A DLP projector has got a response time rouhly 100x faster than an LCD actually at 1 ms, such as Lightboost enabled, so refresh rate is the obvious cause.

Also, there's no way the input lag is 3 ms. And even if it was, that would be the lowest then, I don't believe the peaks are down to 3 ms, that's a significant jump from the average 10 ms we're used to seeing.

Yes, technology in the last year has changed greatly ... especially w/ IPS. Prior to the Predator line, I wouldn't give an IPS panel a 2nd look, but those Acer / Asus models do impress. Unfortunately the cost of the technology precludes it being scaled down to 1080p.