I just bought 3 24" 1440p displays. What's the cheapest option to bring them to life?

JDMS__

Commendable
May 22, 2016
I currently dont have a GPU in my PC. What would be the cheapest route to get all 3 on 1440?
This setup is strictly for a workstation. No gaming will be done on this triple setup. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.. Thank you!

Solution
If your using integrated graphics then it really only depends on how many video ports your motherboard has you have and how much RAM you have. If you have 3 video ports then all you need is the right cables and maybe an adapter, If you got a splitter it would show the same screen on your monitors. Also, if you plan on using all 3 you're gonna need a good amount of RAM because integrated graphics would need a good amount especially for 3 monitors at 1440p. I'm currently using 2 monitors on a GT 720 2GB, one on VGA and one HDMI with a HDMI to DVI adapter and if i was to take out my graphics card and use my integrated graphics instead it would be extremely slower than it already is. So, if you have a decent amount of RAM then good, but if...

bub11454

Reputable
Mar 22, 2016
If your using integrated graphics then it really only depends on how many video ports your motherboard has you have and how much RAM you have. If you have 3 video ports then all you need is the right cables and maybe an adapter, If you got a splitter it would show the same screen on your monitors. Also, if you plan on using all 3 you're gonna need a good amount of RAM because integrated graphics would need a good amount especially for 3 monitors at 1440p. I'm currently using 2 monitors on a GT 720 2GB, one on VGA and one HDMI with a HDMI to DVI adapter and if i was to take out my graphics card and use my integrated graphics instead it would be extremely slower than it already is. So, if you have a decent amount of RAM then good, but if your computer is slow then you could get more RAM or it might even be cheaper to get a low end graphics card. I can also help out with what would be compatible with your motherboard if you decide to get more RAM or a graphics card.

Solution

JDMS__

Commendable
May 22, 2016

Thanks for your thorough response. I actually have a z97e-itx as rock motherboard with 16gb of ddr3 ram. I just opted to get the "K" cpu because at the time of sale it was only $30 more than the locked version.

If I were to use integrated- I don't want the same screen on all 3. I want it 'extended'. Is that possible with integrated?
I'm just confused on what cables to use, because from the short research I've done. People are saying that DP is the only way to get 1440p at 60hz?

bub11454

Reputable
Mar 22, 2016

That motherboard has 2 HDMI ports, 1 DVI, and 1 other video port that i'm not sure what its called. Could you tell me what ports are on your monitors that you want to use?

JDMS__

Commendable
May 22, 2016

I purchased 3 Dell p2416d monitors

bub11454

Reputable
Mar 22, 2016

The port that I didn't know what is was is called DP and your monitors do have it along with HDMI and VGA ports. So if you have all the right cords just plug em in and you should be good to go. Once you get them all plugged in and your computer starts go into the display setting and from there you can set your monitors to whatever side they're on and set which is your main monitor.