Need clarification on choosing a mother board?

Chandrasekhar

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hi all below is my gaming configuration

GPU:EVGA GTX 970 SC
Processor: Intel i7-4790k
RAM;Corsair Vengeance 16GB

I am confused to choose between gigabyte Z97 gaming 5 or MSI z97 gaming 5 mobo.My budget for mobo is 150$ or 10000.I don't want to change the configuration for 2 years minimum.So please suggest better mobo in my budget(other than specified models).TIA

I would go for the gigabyte z97x gaming 5 over the msi. Better power phases for the i7 especially if you decide you want to overclock it. The gigabyte gaming 5 has 8 true power phases (digital, which are better) and the msi has 4 power phases that are analog/hybrid. It boils down to higher chance of stability at higher clock speeds under load.

Connectors are similar, the amp onboard audio of the gigabyte board may be slightly better. The gigabyte board has a dual bios setup (in case one fails it has a backup). Small differences but the power delivery alone is much better.

Chandrasekhar

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks for the reply,could you suggest me any other mobo with in the price or slightly higher also fine.

Choosing a motherboard depends on your needs. Does it have all the connections you want/need? The z97x gaming 5 is one of the better boards in that budget. Going up in budget just means more connectivity/features (usually, some boards are just more expensive because of the brand). Looks may matter if you have a windowed case but I'd make sure whichever board you choose has the features you need and then worry about the looks if it were me.

What is it you're looking for exactly? Suggest another board, that does what? There really aren't better boards. You could pay a lot of money for an extra fan header maybe, a couple extra usb or sata headers. There really aren't many features those two boards don't have. They both handle highly oc'd memory. Aside from the few differences I pointed out there aren't many differences overall.

The gigabyte z97x gaming 5 is usually one of the least expensive boards with 8 digital power phases which tend to be one of the differences between boards. Cheaper boards will usually have 4 power phases and resort to analog or analog/hybrid methods for power regulation because digital is a bit more of a premium. It's a board that should last you 3-4yrs or more so 2yrs is definitely no issue for it. I don't mean before failing it should easily last that long. I meant in terms of staying useful with your setup. The mobo and cpu should definitely last you awhile, you may or may not need a gpu upgrade for gaming after a year or two but depends on your games. Just not sure what else you expect the motherboard to do.

Chandrasekhar

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

My requirement is that mobo should support my configuration without any performance lag.At my place there is a price variation so i have to spend more money,so i asked for other mobo which are good performance wise.TIA

How about Gigabyte z97X-UD3H-Black Edition??Can you help me in choosing the PSU? i am thinking to buy VS650W corsair.