Are displayport to hdmi cables as good as displayport to displayport?

11wcoxs

Commendable
May 25, 2016
I am getting my first gaming computer soon as a reward for finishing my exams. Basically I have researched a little and have come to the conclusion that displayport is the best cable to use. The monitor I'm looking at getting is a Acer Predator XB270HAb 27 inch and has displayport ports. However the computer I am getting doesn't. Will displayport to hdmi cables be as good as displayport to displayport? Or should I invest in a displayport to hdmi adapter to stick on the computer?

Solution
The HDMI on that monitor won't do 1920x1080 144 Hz. DisplayPort can, and DVI-D Dual Link can. However, in order to get GSync to work, you will need to use DisplayPort (1.2+).

HDMI is more of an A/V cable, as DisplayPort is useless in that environment. It's missing features HDMI got, 3M max range for DisplayPort wouldn't work well as an A/V cable standard, as opposed to HDMI's 15M. And, the frame packing which is mandatory for 3D to work on TV's, is HDMI exclusive, DisplayPort can't do it.

However, because DisplayPort and HDMI are both using active signals, an adapter will work, but you won't get all the features. If it's purely for compatibility, then use an adapter. If not, then always go with DisplayPort when possible, DVI-D Dual...

SvenVB15

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Displayport has a grater bandwidth than hdmi so the displayport to hdmi cable and the hdmi adapter will both degrade the bandwidth. Don't forget to check if your computer has hdmi 2.0 cause that is much better than hdmi but still not as good as displayport.

11wcoxs

Commendable
May 25, 2016

So does that mean I might as well just get a hdmi to hdmi? Or is displayport to hdmi better than that?

The HDMI on that monitor won't do 1920x1080 144 Hz. DisplayPort can, and DVI-D Dual Link can. However, in order to get GSync to work, you will need to use DisplayPort (1.2+).

HDMI is more of an A/V cable, as DisplayPort is useless in that environment. It's missing features HDMI got, 3M max range for DisplayPort wouldn't work well as an A/V cable standard, as opposed to HDMI's 15M. And, the frame packing which is mandatory for 3D to work on TV's, is HDMI exclusive, DisplayPort can't do it.

However, because DisplayPort and HDMI are both using active signals, an adapter will work, but you won't get all the features. If it's purely for compatibility, then use an adapter. If not, then always go with DisplayPort when possible, DVI-D Dual Link if you have to, as monitor is still using HDMI 1.4.

If you use an DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, or vice versa, what's going to happen is that it's going to be limited by the weakest link, in this case HDMI, regardless of which part of the chain it's in.

All the best!

Solution

11wcoxs

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Thank you for the answer. I was wondering, the graphics card I'm getting is has a DP port. Will I be able to use this to connect to my monitor or can I only use the hdmi ports on the motherboard.

11wcoxs

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Thanks, the monitor does have a DP port so I will get a DP to DP cable.