More Details On Asus' Liquid-Cooled ROG Laptops, Plus A Thin And Light Strix

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I don't understand. Why not just buy a desktop? The point of a laptop is portability, and this is as stationary as it gets. Not to mention that a desktop could be much more powerful for the same cost. Or at least as powerful for less.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Unveiling brand-new laptops with GTX 980 desktop GPU's two days before the GTX 1080 desktop GPU is released seems a little tragic. Granted, a GTX 980 does a fine job with 1080p, but anyone looking to drop this much coin on a cutting edge gaming laptop would likely be waiting on the one with double the performance per watt from the graphics card — especially if it were intended to drive a VR HMD.

Zircon57

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Since when were there 8GB GTX 980 cards?

For some reason the mobile versions of the desktop card were offered with 8GB instead of the normal 4GB.

Have to agree that this launch has interesting timing if the mobile GTX 1080 is arriving soon.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

The thin one has a 980m/970m, the big ones have a desktop 980. Perhaps the point is aiming for a lower price point to use up some old stock?

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I don't understand. Why not just buy a desktop? The point of a laptop is portability.

I don't understand why every time there is an article on gaming laptops, someone always says buy a desktop instead. While I agree this is a beast of weight and size, it helps companies push the design to get this stuff smaller and be innovative. And there is a market for it, since I have purchased gaming laptops for he last 5 years, and update them every 2 years. It works well.

I don't understand. Why not just buy a desktop? The point of a laptop is portability.

I don't understand why every time there is an article on gaming laptops, someone always says buy a desktop instead. While I agree this is a beast of weight and size, it helps companies push the design to get this stuff smaller and be innovative. And there is a market for it, since I have purchased gaming laptops for he last 5 years, and update them every 2 years. It works well.

Agreed. Not everybody has the space for even a small ITX gaming pc. Plus, these big gaming laptops are great if you are traveling and still want desktop performance and screen size.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Agreed. Not everybody has the space for even a small ITX gaming pc. Plus, these big gaming laptops are great if you are traveling and still want desktop performance and screen size.

I'm sorry, but the laptop plus the massive water cooling unit is bigger than my Mini ITX build.

The cooling unit is only for when docked to a GPU. So when you don't need mobility.

The cooling unit is only for when docked to a GPU. So when you don't need mobility.

I can actually see a specific use case for big gaming laptops:
People who move often while still having the desire to play games.
Like those who who are studying and only return home for the weekends or changing placed often for work-related reasons.
And while a big-a** gaming might be more expensive than a desktop system, it is still cheaper than multiple comparable desktop systems on all the places they will play games.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006

I'm sorry, but the laptop plus the massive water cooling unit is bigger than my Mini ITX build.

I got both, a desktop and a gaming laptop. I tried moving my desktop to where i go every 3-6 months doing contracts, but hauling 6 boxes totaling 50KG is not only expensive and takes forever to get to the destination, but there is a very good chance that in one of the shipping your are left either without the hardware or that it arrives in pieces.
Yeah it's a huge case with lots of drives and cards and water cooling and 3 screens with arms and a speaker system with a receiver and 5.1 speakers + woofer.
Yeah a desktop is cooler if you stay in one place.

Having an equally powered laptop that is a bit bulky but that you can actually carry with you on a plane is totally awesome, you get a great pair of 5.1 headsets to replace the sound system, some external storage for the bulk stuff. and Maybe even a http://www.slidenjoy.com/ for when that comes out and you have yourself your own desktop that you can carry with you. It perfectly fits this scenario. So yeah don't compare them cause they are being used in totally different cases.

adam non

Honorable
May 6, 2012
The GTX 1080 and 1080M are real game changers, so all the laptops with 970M or 980M are obsolete.
I think there's a customer wanting this kind of thing, like the new Razer Blade and Razer Core, but they'll have to wait for the update to 1080 as all the vendors will surely bring new hardware to market in coming months (with the 1080 now just a few days away.)

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Not sure why people dont understand how these are useful. i can think of a few scenarios off the top of my head...
1- college student who wants to game , but still needs a laptop to bring to class.
2- people who travel and want to be able to game at home, but use their laptop while they travel ( you dont need to play battlefield on ultra while youre gone for the weekend) .
3- anyone at all who wants to only have one system.... yes, having a gaming desktop and an ultrabook or tablet is great, but then you have 2 systems... wouldnt it be great to just have everything on one system without needing to carry an external or sync online?

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Does the liquid go inside the laptop to cool the components? I would assume it would, but does that mean there is a possibility of leaks when unhooking and hooking it up to the dock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS