Boot Sector Virus on Windows 10

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hello! I was in my basement and found some old floppy disks, and I wanted to check if anything important was on any of them. I was using an external USB floppy module with Windows 10. After about 100 or so floppies, a Mcafee warning popped up saying that I had a "potential" boot sector virus. It suggested to contact Mcafee tech support, but as customer support can sometimes be tricky to deal with, I was wondering if anyone knew any fixes. Otherwise, I'll ask them for help. Also (Unnecessary) - as a side note, what exactly is a boot virus and what does it do to a computer?

Thank You!

If your disk is GPT (most Win 10 clean installs are) then a floppy virus shouldn't happen, but if you upgraded from 7 or picked MBR for disk, then yes, you could get a virus. If you have a boot virus, the best course of action is complete disk reinitialization.

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016
So I ran a full scan of my machine and it didn't detect anything - it may have gone away when I removed the floppy (as I believe it was simply a warning and not a confirmation). Just in case, i re checked with getsusp (Mcafee program) and it didn't detect anything bad. Just for the record-it's a Lenovo Y50-70 touch that came with 8.1 preinstalled, which I later upgraded to ten.