Correct way to connect dual monitors

skwo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I've got two identical monitors, both have VGA, DVI-D and DisplayPort 1.2a Inputs. Both 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz.
I have Nvidia GPU with 1xDVI-I, 1xHDMI and 1xDisplayPort 1.2 Outputs.

This PC is not for gaming (maybe light gaming) and mainly for working / office stuff.

I want to get the most identical picture on both monitors. Ideally I would need either 2xDP or 2xDVI outputs, but I don't have.

My first question: can I use some DisplayPort 1 to 2 hub?
My seconds question: Do I need to use it? I know all the outputs are digital, so technically I should not see any difference, but since I really need to have as much identical picture as possible, what are my options to connect two monitors to this GPU?

1. Use DisplayPort hub for both monitors
or
2. Any combination of DisplayPort / HDMI-2-DVI / DVI cables.

Edit:
GPU is EVGA GeFroce GTX 750 SC
Monitors are Dell P2314H

Thanks for the help!

Solution
DVI-D and HDMI signals are most similar. Adapter from one to another doesn't even require any active components.
Use DVI-D cable for one monitor and HDMI-DVI-D cable for second one.
For non-gaming, any digital output should output the same colour balance, gamut, white levels etc - you should be fine. For 1080p/60hz any of the digital outputs is also fine for gaming should you ever, just steer clear of the VGA port ;)

skwo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Thank you kyzarvs!
I know they all digital, and the reason I've asked, is even though both monitors are completely the same (except manufacturing date, one is Nov'15, the second one is Jan'16), and they are connected with DP and HDMI2DVI currently, I DO get different white levels. One is more white and the other is less white (non white color difference is hardly noticeable).

I know that technically no two monitors are 100% the same, but I want to eliminate the connection difference factor (if there is any), before I proceed to any other calibrations of the monitors.

For example I've heard somewhere that DP is capable of more bit depth per pixel transfer, HDMI requires settings in nvidia to allow it to use 0-255 color level (AFAIK there are two settings, for monitor and for tv), so technically the connection are different, the question is what I need to do in order to make them as identical as possible.

InvalidError

Titan
Digital interfaces send digital RGB data directly to the monitor. As long as you haven't tweaked color settings on the GPU in some way, both monitors should be receiving exactly the same image data regardless of whether you use DVI, HDMI or DP. If the image looks different, there may be a calibration or performance discrepancy between your two monitors.

skwo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
SkyNetRising thank you! I'll try to use HDMI and DVI and see if there is any difference.

InvalidError thank you as well! Ill check nvidia settings to see if there is any calibration made on the driver side (should not be) and proceed from there!

TRENDING THREADS