Which Windows 10 Key after Clean reinstall?

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
I bought Win8 Pro Upgrade Key from Win7 Home Edition OEM. So I did the 8 Pro Upgrade, then went right to Win 8.1 Pro, then went right into Win 10 Pro all over the course of a couple days.

I like Win10 Pro, I want to keep it, however, it's been about 6+ months since I first installed it, now I want to wipe my drive and do a clean reinstall. (I did this on my Win7 setup every 6 months or so) Which key should be the one that's upgraded to 10? The original 7 Home Ed OEM Key? Or the 8 Pro Key? I want to know before i bother with the clean reinstall just so I have an idea of what I'm in for.

I have everything backed up of course so if I want to just mirror the drive in case there's an issue with the clean reinstall I can do that.

Any thoughts?

Solution
Windows 10 stores a serial based on your computer's hardware configuration. it should be fine with reinstalling 10. i have successfully done it a couple times on my current system.

Windows 10 also has a "reset" option built-in that will wipe everything and revert to the initial setup. for this you shouldn't need any install media, it is offered from within the OS.
Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

and you can also download and run the Windows Install Media from within Windows and it will give you the option to keep or remove your current programs and settings but will reinstall OS shell files.
Windows 10 stores a serial based on your computer's hardware configuration. it should be fine with reinstalling 10. i have successfully done it a couple times on my current system.

Windows 10 also has a "reset" option built-in that will wipe everything and revert to the initial setup. for this you shouldn't need any install media, it is offered from within the OS.
Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

and you can also download and run the Windows Install Media from within Windows and it will give you the option to keep or remove your current programs and settings but will reinstall OS shell files.

Solution

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply, and nice username Bonzo. :)

Once I do that I'm gonna have to do all the anti-spying protocols again. But it's worth it just to wipe everything once in a while. I might wait since I'm not really having performance issues or anything, but sometimes it's faster to do a reinstall rather than have to remember every little program I've tried and uninstall each of them.

What scares me about what you've said is, what happens if I upgrade my mobo or something, or not even upgrade if it fails and I get a replacement. MS should just issue keys and tie the key to a registered user. They're always going to have piracy issues because as soon as they develop a better mousetrap someone develops a better mouse.

MS is being very lenient with their activation process for Windows 10. i don't think they really care so much about people using pirated versions because they are making so much off of the advertising side of things by selling user information(sites browsed, apps purchased, searches made from Edge or Cortana, etc) to 3rd party ad companies.

they state on microsoft.com that if you upgrade your hardware and Windows 10 is de-activated just to contact them via Windows built-in help option and they will offer you an updated serial.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

Yeah, because most people don't bother trying to circumvent that stuff. Problem is they keep "updating" AKA circumventing the circumventions, like I said, invent the better mousetrap, people will invent a better mouse.