New build - Xbox one equivalent PC - sanity check please

gnicholls

Commendable
May 26, 2016
I'm building a new PC from scratch for (with) my son. He's 13 and into gaming but he's not hard core(yet). His expectation is to be able to play PC games with roughly the same experience as his Xbox one. I'd welcome some sanity checking of my choices - particularly anything I should be aware of or may not have considered. Common criteria for all hardware was easy availability locally (I'm in Sydney, Australia) and reasonable but not rock bottom pricing.
Selections so far are:

• Graphics Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB - picked because as best I could tell, it would offer roughly Xbox one level of performance.
    Motherboard - ASRock H110M-HDS LGA1151 Micro-ATX - Picked because full size ones are much more expensive and I couldn't see why this wouldn't be just as acceptable. Also to support Core i3.
    CPU - Intel Core i3 6100 Dual Core LGA 1151 3.70 GHz CPU Processor - no real reason here other than it's the new model, reasonably priced and (hopefully) not over-spec'd for the task.
    RAM - 2 x Kingston Value 4GB 2133MHz DDR4 Memory KVR21N15S8/4 - my understanding is systems run quicker with 2x4GB as opposed to 1x8GB
    PSU - Corsair VS350 350W Power Supply - supposed to be able to handle the work
    SSD - Samsung 750 EVO 120GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-750120BW - I think this is big enough for what he needs for now. Balancing price and capacity.
    WIFI - Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter - cheap USB unit
There's a case and windows 10 involved as well but he's picking a case he thinks is cool.
Total price came in a tad over AUD800 - which I'm prepared to pay for something that will do the job now and hopefully last a few years.

Thanks for reading.

gnicholls

Commendable
May 26, 2016
hmm. An extra 50 bucks .. maybe. I'm trying to avoid death by a thousand cuts as well. The further under $1000 I keep this the happier I'll be. That would push it to $900. I'll think on it .. Thanks.

CapyWarrior

Commendable
May 23, 2016
The 3rd gen (that i3-6000) is getting lower benchmarks than 4th and 5th gen processors. Currently Haswell (4th gen) is still getting the highest benchmarks. This is because 6th gen was a big change and left plenty of room to grow in the new architecture but it isn't all there yet. Same with ddr4. It has similar performance to ddr3 but more potential for 7th gen and on. Keeping your budget in mind if you forget the x-box and focus on what's the best pc I can build for this much you can blast away and x-box one with that budget. Its easier to build within a budget than to focus on making to something else's specs. Ultimately you'll end up with bottlenecks cause you aren't looking at the pc as a whole. I've created a list of parts for you as an alternative keeping it right around 577usd (AUD800) and taking into account style and cooling here it is:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bNBrxY
I chose this case for it's cooling value as well as it's "style". Cooling is an important factor in choosing a case. Hope your son likes his new PC and realizes how awesome PC gaming can be :)

gnicholls

Commendable
May 26, 2016

Hmm. Two things here I don't understand. The CPU is still showing as a core i3 but the motherboard is now an 1150. Will that work ? Second point is the suppliers are all US based. That puts the total cost to AUD 770 - and I suspect I'll be in for more than 50 bucks shipping, so the total cost is roughly the same.

CapyWarrior

Commendable
May 23, 2016

The i3 is a 4th gen. Not a 6th. Which as I stated above is actually getting better performances despite being cheaper. I used the money saved to get a more even spread of hardware and an ssd (a very good investment). The socket on the processor is 1150 and the socket on the motherboard is 1150 meaning they work together. It's a different socket than what you were looking at before but all parts are compatible. You also don't have to use these vendors. This is more of a parts list. You could find the same parts where you are and save on the shipping. Good luck!

gnicholls

Commendable
May 26, 2016

Thank you

CapyWarrior

Commendable
May 23, 2016

Any time!