questions after reinstalling win 10

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
Hi! I reinstalled win 10 on the C drive, all data on the D drive remained intact, but none of the software work anymore. Things like Photoshop and Adobe all require uninstall and re-installation. Why is that?

Steam also isn't working correctly. But can I reinstalling it without losing all the games? There are so many of them and copying them somewhere else takes way too long....

I also noticed Cortana is now appearing as one of the top processes in the task manager. I don't ever remember seeing this thing before. Is there a way to get rid of it to free up the ram? Same with Nvidia setting. It now shows up in the hidden icons in the tool bar. Never saw it before. How to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Solution
I assume you did a reset? If you clean installed, it still applies - you have to reinstall the programs after a install. They won't work as windows doesn't know they are there, they have to have certain files in the Registry before they will work. Just run the installer for the programs again.

There is a way to reuse your steam folders so you don't lose a thing

I select the game, ask to install it, point to the steamapps I moved and it starts to "discover" the files of that specific game (or games if you have more than one). I already did that a lot of times and It worked fine for me.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864975249490301539

if you upgraded its possible cortana just wasn't working. upgrades break things.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I assume you did a reset? If you clean installed, it still applies - you have to reinstall the programs after a install. They won't work as windows doesn't know they are there, they have to have certain files in the Registry before they will work. Just run the installer for the programs again.

There is a way to reuse your steam folders so you don't lose a thing

I select the game, ask to install it, point to the steamapps I moved and it starts to "discover" the files of that specific game (or games if you have more than one). I already did that a lot of times and It worked fine for me.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864975249490301539

if you upgraded its possible cortana just wasn't working. upgrades break things.

Solution

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015

Thank you. I did a clean reinstall.

So I will still have to move the Steamapps folder before deleting everything? That sucks coz it's like 2 TB big, it takes forever to copy it to somewhere else, then delete the original folders, and copy it back after reinstalling steam...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't move folders, i will find another way. i am sure if you install steam and tell it to install games to that library location it will find the games

i have to go out for a while but will confirm that when i return :)

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015

thanks man!