Is a Corsair RM650 acceptable for an r390 build?

Tornado57

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Hello guys! In August 2014, I built a pc that includes these specs:

PSU - Corsair RM650

GPU - GTX 770

CPU - 4690k

Earlier this year, I ran into some issues that required me to replace my gpu. I have purchased an r390; however, I have some concerns with my psu. The RM650 is considered a tier 3 psu, mainly due to using some non-Japanese capacitors. I know, in retrospect I should have done a little more research on what psu to get when I first built it.

I use this computer for basic stuff (email, web surfing, etc) and gaming. However, I am more of a casual gamer, and I don't need to go for the highest settings or resolutions. Medium to high is fine, if that makes a difference?

Will my psu be sufficient for this build with an r390 if I don't OC? If so, would it be ok have a modest OC? Also, is all of this Corsair RMxxx hate overblown / exaggerated, or is the RM series really that bad? It appears the RM is generally considered a step up from the CX, but certainly not the greatest based on what I've read.

If need be, I have some ideas in mind for what psu to get if it is indeed necessary to switch out my psu for a better one.

Silly_Sam

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
The R9 390 recommends to have a PSU that is 650w or over so you should be fine. It also depends on what brand R9 390 you get as some can be factory overclocked and would not be recommend. Whatever brand you go with just check the requirements of the card and it should advise what is the power outage it needs to run.
Good Luck!

Tornado57

Commendable
May 26, 2016

Hmmm, I suppose you're right. I have an MSI r390, and some say it will work with 650 watts, and some say not or it's really pushing it. I suppose it's time to print the "tier list" and head up to Micro Center! The 750 watt version of the EVGA Supernova G2 is one I had in mind.

Do you have any personal suggestions?

Silly_Sam

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016

Good decision, never can be to safe!
For a PSU try get something modular if you want a clean PC. Anything in your price range and has some decent reviews should be fine.
Personally I have a Corsair CX 750 and it has been great for me.
Good Luck!