Best Bang For the Buck Upgrade?

jaypuck

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hi guys,

My system is getting a bit old, and while it's running fine I would like to buy some new old games like Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and I'm looking forward to the new Deus Ex game. I had problems running Unity (slow frame rate, lockups, etc, beyond the "normal" for that bug-ridden monstrosity). I also tried upgrading to Windows 10 but had random, untraceable lockups, which I thought was video card related but I put a different card in and still had them. Never was able to figure that one out so I went back to 7, but would like to upgrade back to 10 if I can get it stable.

My system is as follows: Asus P8Z77 mobo, core i5 3350, 16gb DDR3 1600 RAM, GTX 660 (2gb), Samsung 120gb SSD (holding OS and Steam only really), 500gb WD 7200 RPM HD (holding all games, etc). Edit: forgot power supply, it's a Corsair 600w probably don't need to upgrade it but I guess it could make a difference with what video cards and cpu's I could use, etc. Also, dual monitor setup primary is an Acer S220HQ, secondary is Hanns-G HZ201HPB.

I can really only afford to upgrade one component at a time and I think my best bet is video card at this point but wanted to get some more input. I know when I built the system the card was fine and the CPU would be the bottleneck for most games, but at this point the CPU/mobo is a bit outdated as well so I'm not sure where I'd see the most gains.

jaypuck

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the feedback, I think I will go with a video card. The R390 seems to be a popular choice and a significant upgrade from my 660 so I think I will wait a bit and see if the price comes down on it.