PC Stuck in wrong resolution. Need fix asap

olavpd19

Commendable
May 27, 2016
Alright, so today after coming home from work I turned on my pc to be greeted to what seemed to be 1280x1024. I tried rebooting my pc multible times with no success. I then installed the new drivers from windows aswell as from Nvidia. I rebooted with no success. Ive tried going to the advance options with no success. The resolutions are: 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024.
Ive sat here for 6 hours straight trying to find any solution on google with no answers which have helped me. I even went as far so doing a factory reset which didnt help.
Im feeling like an idiot for sitting here for 6 hours when I know somebody will probaly correct me and fix it all in 1 sentence.

My specs are: GTX 750TI | I5 4690k | 16gb ram

Anyway. Thanks for reading and your patience.
Please give detailed answers from what it might be.

Big Update: I just seen that my GPU (which is really a gtx750ti has become a Microsoft Basic Display Driver?
Any tips on how to fix this?

Solution
It seems like there's a problem with the Nvidia driver. I'd suggest you download the driver again but before you install it, download and run Display Driver Uninstaller http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and completely remove the Nvidia driver. It might ask you to restart the computer a few times. Try doing this offline so windows won't download a new driver. Then try to install it once more. It could be some issue with a windows update substituting the real nvidia driver or the card could be damaged but it doesn't seem likely. If still in doubt, I'd suggest you test the video card on another computer and see how it goes.

When that yellow triangle is gone and the monitor shows the real model...

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
It seems like there's a problem with the Nvidia driver. I'd suggest you download the driver again but before you install it, download and run Display Driver Uninstaller http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and completely remove the Nvidia driver. It might ask you to restart the computer a few times. Try doing this offline so windows won't download a new driver. Then try to install it once more. It could be some issue with a windows update substituting the real nvidia driver or the card could be damaged but it doesn't seem likely. If still in doubt, I'd suggest you test the video card on another computer and see how it goes.

When that yellow triangle is gone and the monitor shows the real model, it should let you select the proper resolution.

Solution

olavpd19

Commendable
May 27, 2016
Alright so I did what you said and it worked, i got perfect resolution and then I rebooted to see if it was actually permament which I then realised. Im back to 1280x1024. And theres still a yellow triangle there.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

It seems like Windows Update might be installing another incompatible driver. Give this a try:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

But I'm not sure if that will stop it since I'm not completely sure that Windows Update is the cause.

Aug 20, 2018
Sorry to revive this dead thread but another solution i've just found after none of these other solutions worked for me is, selecting the display settings for your monitor and changing the monitor's orientation to portrait. that forced the monitor to the native resolution for me and after all i did was swap it back to landscape and the problem was solved.

Reactions: Johnbonne