My screen looks like it has a multicolored bar code going along it, please help.

KingCharlesXII

Commendable
May 27, 2016
My laptop monitor has been having a couple of problems as of around the 18th of March this year. I'm not sure how it started, but all I know is that when I open it up after sleep mode these crazy multi-colored lines are all over the screen from top to bottom, almost like a colored bar-code. Sometimes huge portions of the screen may be covered by one color as well. There are many interesting things that I have noticed while playing with it to get it fixed though. 1. I can plug it into a monitor (i.e. my t.v.) and it will work on that screen but not my laptop screen 2. When I plug in a monitor or if I change the display type by using fn and f7, the colors on my screen change. 3. The colors on ym screen also seem to be affected by what I have on my screen at the time.

4. When I move the mouse on the task bar, you can see where to mouse would be because there is a colored strip tracking the mouse

This is not the first time this has happened either, my dad took it into geek squad when it first did and they managed to fix it by plugging it into a monitor. This has also worked for me in the past but this time it is not. I'm not sure if this is because I am doing it wrong this time or if it finally stopped working but please help!!!

P.S. This is an Asus laptop that I've only had for 2-3 years and I am typing from it right now while connected to a t.v.

Solution
I think I know that is wrong and this is why you do not go to best buy. They choose the cheap option rather than actually fixing it. They do not have any certification as far as I know. They scam people also. Anyways, the problem I think is that there is essentially a big cord going from the laptop monitor down to the board and somewhere it is shorting out which is why the display is kinda there but kinda not. When you plug in the external monitor, your plugging it directly to the board. Based on the fact that now it is not working when plugged into a external, I am guessing the shortage is around the connection to the board. Anyways, replacing the laptop monitor might be your best bet. I would wait for other people to reply though...

Isleepalot

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I think I know that is wrong and this is why you do not go to best buy. They choose the cheap option rather than actually fixing it. They do not have any certification as far as I know. They scam people also. Anyways, the problem I think is that there is essentially a big cord going from the laptop monitor down to the board and somewhere it is shorting out which is why the display is kinda there but kinda not. When you plug in the external monitor, your plugging it directly to the board. Based on the fact that now it is not working when plugged into a external, I am guessing the shortage is around the connection to the board. Anyways, replacing the laptop monitor might be your best bet. I would wait for other people to reply though before going through with it.

Solution

KingCharlesXII

Commendable
May 27, 2016
It's worked for me before on several occasions, and this is the only time that it hasn't fixed the screen. Also, where does the monitor connect to the actual board?

Isleepalot

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
It depends on your computer model. You can look up screen replacements on you tube to find out where and how to do it. If you are uncomfortable doing this, just go to a computer place that fixes them but just make sure it is not best buy. They are so expensive also.