System reserved partition

marhult

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi. I've finished building my PC and put windows 10 on however when I go to 'my computer' it's turned my 1tb hard drive to "system reserved (D:)" which is 499MB. How on earth do I get my terabyte storage back?! I do have a 250gb SSD which I have the OS on but I want to know why its not showing me the rest of my terabyte storage!

I've tried many things already including resetting windows 10 and clearing the hard drives and yet the problem still persists!

Also, I haven't downloaded any drivers or anything yet.

Thanks

Solution

The current Disk Management window.
Yes, a pic from a phone will work (if...
Windows likely doesn't want you poking around that system reserved partition as long as it thinks it is in use.
In this case, it is possible that 1TB drive is first in boot priority and as such Windows felt it right to use part of it for the installation.
Have you tried deleting and/or creating partitions on the 1TB disk in disk management? it might be that rest of the space either doesn't have drive letter (you can assign a new letter for it) or it is just unallocated.
If windows claims that you don't have access to partitions on the 1TB disk:

1. disconnect the 1TB hard drive from computer
2. reinstall and wipe the SSD clean (not reset from within windows)
3. Windows should create it's partitions on the SSD since that is the only thing on computer.
4. Connect 1TB hard disk
5. Open disk management, delete all partitions, create new ones as you want.

marhult

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
I haven't got it hooked up the Internet yet as I can't download the drivers as I don't have an optical drive, hence I can't take screenshots.

How would I wipe the SSD/computer without using Windows? Would it be in the bios?

USAFRet

Titan

How did you install the OS?

What has almost certainly happened is that the System Reserved has been given a drive letter, and the rest of the drive is simply unallocated.
But without a pic of this...mere speculation.

marhult

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

I just used a USB and had both hard drives plugged in but I removed the normal hard drive at some part due to a few problems I had. I can take a picture on my phone, what did you want a photo of exactly?

USAFRet

Titan

The current Disk Management window.
Yes, a pic from a phone will work (if non-fuzzy)

Solution

marhult

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WTsRzOeIcdTXh6RnpPMnRwNXM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WTsRzOeIcdVFBlYlAzMHJkT2M/view?usp=sharing

Sorry, it took me a little while but here you go :)

USAFRet

Titan
As suspected, the majority of your 'other drive' is unallocated.
And, the System Reserved partition is on that other drive.
And that partition has a drive letter, which it should not.

How to fix?
Since this is a brand new build, start over.

Disconnect all other drives. Have only the 250GB SSD connected. (Preferably in SATA 0 port)
Install the OS.
Once that is all up and running...activated and updated...then reconnect the HDD
Delete ALL partitions on that drive.
Use it as needed.

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Well he probably partitioned& formatted that empty, unallocated space.

To avoid all kinds of problems in the future, the system reserved partition should definetly be on the SSD along with Windows, so one vote too for reinstalling it will nothing more has been done with it.

marhult

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, I just created a new partition in the disk management window. Should I have not done this? Do I need to remove the system reserved partition (if I can)?