MSI Z170A Titanium Edition & GTX 770

javia1492

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I recently purchased an MSI Z170A Titanium Edition to replace my previous Z77A-G45 Gaming Edition Mobo. As a result, I had to upgrade my CPU from an i7-3770 and instead i got the i7-6700k. I decided to keep my GPU which is an EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked.

When i tried to play some games on the new system, i noticed some really bad performance after a few minutes of gameplay. One in particular is CSGO. I would have a steady 300FPS but after 1-2 minutes my fps would drop and start going all over the place. As a result, the performance dropped and everything became laggy/choppy. Same with the recently released Overwatch.

I purchased the Z170A under the assumption (bad assumption?) that it would support the GTX 770 but after looking at MSI's website i noticed that the GTX 770 is not listed as one of the supported video cards.

This may be an obvious question, but i want to get confirmation that it is definitely my gpu not being supported by the mobo that is causing this performance issue and not something else.

Mobos don't support specific video cards - if it fits in the slot it's good.

When you changed boards did you reinstall Windows from scratch or try to just move the hard drive and OS over? Have you completely nuked the GPU drivers and installed the latest (or last known stable)?

javia1492

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

I didnt try to reinstall windows because i didnt want to wipe everything. Yes, i could do a backup but i didnt think it would be an issue.

Likewise, i didnt completely nuke the GPU drivers. I did update them to the most recent drivers using the Nvidia Geforce Experience software.

I'm kinda surprised Windows worked like that, but before reinstalling the OS, I would run DDU on the Graphics driver and install latest, then install OCCT and run the CPU stress test. Watch the temperatures - maybe the heatsink didn't seat quite right which could explain why your framerate jumps around (thermal throttling - especially on CPU-dependent game like CS).